View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
mrogers
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

Not bad. The interface overall is a little "fuzzy", and I'm not a huge fan of the black dialog. I also think those fonts might get tiring after awhile. Those icons are from iStockPhoto, yes? We found the same set when mocking up an interface at work.

JRSCCivic98: I agree completely. I often don't download themes or other small free things if I'm required to join a forum to get it. The reason they do it is because they're trying to, potentially, make money from advertising on their site, and if they can go to advertisers and say "Look how many members I have!" they think they can get more money. However, any ad agency that you would actually negotiate with like that (or at least any smart one) will come back at you with "Oh yeah? And how many of them actually log in regularly? Oh, only 6%. Bye." So it doesn't work, and it only hurts traffic because, like you said, it really annoys people. It's better to just leave your site open and let traffic come to you naturally by having a nice design and great content. Also, attempting to drive traffic to your site with a thread title like "Best Free Theme?" is more than a little pretentious. GemBlock is a decent looking site, and a fine enough concept...but lose the required registration and make people *want* to register rather than *forcing* them to register to get the carrot you're dangling (free themes). That's what ultimately builds a successful community.
Offline   Reply With Quote