View Single Post
Old 01-20-2006, 11:41 PM   #23
nickp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVI Beach Bum
I went to a Cingular store today to buy an 8700 here in Chicago and then was planning on getting it unlocked from gsmphonesource.com, but was told by the salesman that in no way would the 8700 work with TMo's web or email. He said he would be happy to sell it to me for full retail price, but it would definately not work because he has had one returned that the customer did what I was going to do and it did not work. He said the phone would work, but Cingular "burns" there software into the motherboard and thus would have all of the Cing icons and would only look to Cing web or email. He said that I would get a bunch of data connection errors. Sounds like crap because people on this forum and others said there 8700 works just fine. He also said that it would not be able to be returned if it is unlocked. So my question is will it work seemlessly once it gets unlocked? Are there Cing icons that will not work with Tmo that can't be removed? Please help I really like the 8700 and am pretty happy with Tmo here in Chicago and I can't wait to get rid of my BB 7100 (reception is horrible).
Well, good news my friend. The Cingular rep is incorrect, whether intentional or not.

I went to my local Cingular store, told the rep I needed to buy an 8700 for one of my people, and walked out with a brand new device for $449.00. I sent Adam at GSMPhonesource $45 and my IMEI, and 6 hours later, I had an unlocked 8700 running on T-Mo.

I already had a BlackBerry account set up with T-Mo. I was using a 7290 and then a 7105t. Once the service books were transfered to the 8700, the unit was up and running with NO Cingular anything on it. (except for the logo on the front of the screen). The browser works, e-mail works, T-Zones works, voicemail works ... well you get the idea.

All of the T-Mo stuff showed up when the service book was downloaded, without having to manually set anything up.

I logged on to mytmobile.com and selected the 7290 as my active device. One thing I noticed in my Milwaukee area, is that the 8700 indicates EDGE now. I was in Lansing earlier today, in a T-Mo coverage area, and it only showed GPRS. The download speed and web browsing seem much faster than with the other BBs I have owned. So I am wondering if Edge is really here in MKE. Google Local kicks butt and does not load slowly at all.

Anyways, back to the original topic, negotiate your best price on a new 8700, get it unlocked by Adam, and PM me if you have questions. You will need the BB plan from T-Mo and once the device registers with the network, you will need to confirm the new PIN number on mytmobile.com.

Enjoy it Dude...it is an awesome device. And I have tried them all...Treo600, 650, BB7290,7105, several PPC devices.... anyway, enough for now. Go nuts and enjoy. The Cingular rep knows not what he says.