View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default OS 6 on the 9700 didn't make any sense to me

Please Login to Remove!

This borders on a rant, so it's here, but I'm really just expressing confusion.

I finally tried OS 6 last night. I putzed around with it for a little while then went to bed, then woke up early and putzed around some more, and I really hated it. So at about 0300 hours this morning I downgraded back to what I had before. I didn't even want to try to make it work for me.

Probably the single biggest issue for me is it was taking me twice or more as many motions to do the same things, and taking much more time. On OS 5 (and earlier versions) I can do most everything with keypad shortcuts and the trackpad, and more often than not the OS knows my likely next step and pre-selects the menu item for me so I don't have to scroll. For example I can search messages using a saved search with S key > track pad > scroll to recall > trackpad press > scroll to search item > trackpad press > trackpad press > trackpad press (search is already selected) ... and about three seconds after I first pressed the S key I'm looking at my search results. It's a straightforward and rapid process on OS 5. Not on 6.

I will say I didn't even want to give myself time to get the hang of the message search or find out if there were other, simpler ways of doing it. There were other issues for me that piled on one another and made it not worth my while to try.

I liked that one or two web pages that didn't quite work in 5 worked perfectly in six, but that didn't make up for the loss of column view and the 'Z' shortcut to switch between column and page view.

The news reader was way too slow going from one unread article to the next.

When playing a podcast from the podcasts app in 5, the player will stop at the end of the podcast. I like that. I back out to the podcasts app and delete the podcast after it ends, then select another, or close the app, or whatever. But in 6 the player starts playing the next podcast. I looked for a setting to change that, but didn't find one.

Finally, the whole UI concept didn't appeal to me. I'm used to the Zen style theme with frequently used apps on the home screen and all the apps and folders on the 'applications screen. Personal preference, I know, but I had no desire to stick it out and get used to the new concept.

It seemed to me while using OS 6 that I was using an operating system made for the touch screen systems that was chopped and channeled for the 9700. I just couldn't see why it was better or more efficient for me than what I had before.

At any rate, this is the first time I've bailed on an OS upgrade.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Offline   Reply With Quote