View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
NorthAurora
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default New 8900 (Tmobile) - MyFaves disappeared completely

Please Login to Remove!

I got my 8900 from a Tmobile store on Wednesday. So far I love it, but I am having a persistent problem. I am writing this in a bullet pointed list to make it concise and clear.

1) Got the phone, used the wizard to move some apps and data from my 8100 to the new 8900
2) Installed a few apps, like Google maps, Facebook
3) Noticed my MyFaves icon was missing (and it wasn't hidden). I know it was showing up before.
4) Under options I chose "Refresh MyFaves" and after a few seconds received the error message "Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException". I got the message 3 times right after each other
5) Called Tmobile support, they refresh my MyFaves remotely, same error message appeared 3 times
6) They got me directly to RIM support. They tried a few things but seemed puzzled. Then they asked me to reinstall 4.6.1.114
7) This worked, MyFaves reappeared, and I restored my backup to get all my data back
8) I live "happily ever after" until 2 days later, Saturday, when without any apparent reasons my MyFaves again disappeared.
9) I went to options, chose "Refresh MyFaves", and am getting the same error 3 times again

I have a few options now
------------------------
- RIM said that if the 4.6.1.114 refresh doesn't work, they would ask Tmobile to give me a new phone, however, this error sounds like a software error to me, and not a phone/hardware error (an uncaught null pointer exception in a Java program)
- I could reinstall 4.6.1.114 again, that would probably work, but most likely after a few days MyFaves would disappear again
- I could install 4.6.1.133 (or even 152) and hope that the new OS version would fix the problem, but RIM told me they only support the phone with the OS version certified by the carrier (4.6.1.114 for Tmobile)
- I could chose to live with the problem, and I don't see the MyFaves icons, but can still call those numbers through contacts. I would never be able to change MyFaves numbers. Probably not an option, since I may have to have a MyFaves number at some point.

Any thoughts? Which option would you chose? Can you think of other alternatives?

Last edited by NorthAurora; 02-15-2009 at 03:56 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote