Old 10-06-2007, 12:30 PM   #10
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by levimendes View Post
The airport extreme "n" model cannot be configured as a "g" only router. If you are mixing "n" and "g" devices on your network you will only get "g" speeds. The airport extreme router slows all traffic if a "g" or a "b" device is connected. Thats why it also has the option to make it an "n" only network, to ensure your network runs at "n" speed. So your airport is already reducing it's speed to satisfy your blackberry.
...continuing, when you mix networks like this then you incur different sorts of penalties, as the way in which an 'n' network works is different than 'g' -- if you want to find easier corollaries do some research on running mixed b/g environments, as they've been around longer and have a lot more writeups online. I'm trying to think of an easy way to explain this without saying "read the specs", but it's hard - basically in a mixed mode environment the packets have to carry the "old" method (g) and the new at once; the problem is that you now have a g device who doesn't understand n having to decode those packets and throw away the leftovers.(1)

We know you love your Airport and you love your Apple, but sometimes they don't make the right gear for the job. You can scream all day "but it should work!" or you can just go buy a $50 router (for your $400 device, no brainer cost ratio here) and use some tech we know works. The fact that your Airport can't be set to G only screams bloody murder to me - how do you know their implementation of the N draft is good? All they care about is if it works with their own hardware, since they write the ethernet stack for it as well with N capability (clients). Not to mention are you really getting MIMO speeds to the internet? I sure don't, I can't get higher than 1.5Mbps DSL due to my distance from the telco hardware.

==
(1) http://www.enhancedwirelessconsortiu..._spec_V127.pdf