Thread: Brand Whoring
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #20
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Wirelessly posted (CrackBerry 8700: SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240) UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Be careful and not blow a gasket, dc. Try practicing pity for a while. Or humor, as pity is most cruel. Aim for disinterest. Even if they have a Porshe key chain on obvious display, you don't even notice...
I don't ever say anything to a person that's guilty of brand-whoring. I have mixed emotions. I feel sorry that they feel the need to do it, and I'm also a bit angry at the societal establishment that teaches children that showing their brand name things makes them a better person. It just gets worse when they grow up and think that buying a Mercedes C230 makes them better because it is a Mercedes.

With regard to a person showing off their Porsche key, i don't mind that. I mind it even less if they are in a plain T and jeans. That shows me that it is just a car to them. Diddy said it best: "To you it's a Bentley, to me it's a blue car."