View Single Post
Old 05-08-2006, 06:05 AM   #12
bldkcstark

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Default 100m BT for under $20!

I just got a USB dongle today that works great. It is a Bluetooth ver. 2 class 1 USB 2.0 100m (328ft!!) 2.4Ghz type. It works from every point in my house up to about 60 feet away and out into my yard. The good news? It uses the WIN XP SP2 BT stack drivers and costs only $12. Sounds too good to be true doesn't it? I ordered my first one when I got my 7130e, and it didn't work (it uses the WIDDCOMM BlueSoleil drivers, even tried the bth.inf mod), then I found another generic one that was guaranteed to work for $30, and bought it. That same day I was cruising geeks.com and found two more and bought them. One at geeks was the Kensington that several people have had success with after modifying the bth.inf so I was pretty sure it would work. The other was only $12, so I bought it too just in case I could get it to work. The geeks order got here first.

I plugged in the $12 dongle, I told it not to check the internet for drivers. XP asked me which driver I wanted to use, I selected the Microsoft drivers from a list of three choices.
I chose the drivers in the location c:windows\inf\bth.inf These are version 5.1.2600.2180.
When installation finished, I enabled BT on the phone and ouila! I got 100m BT sync goin' on! This even worked through a USB 2.0 hub. I had to reinstall when I plugged it into the hub, but I repeated the above instructions and it works great.

It boasts a 3Mbps data transfer rate. Okay enough gloating - here is a link to the item titled a Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd. BT-B1 Class 1 v2 USB 2.0 BT dongle. It is listed as Model: BT-333E is listed at the address below, and made by Suncore Tech. Inc.
geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BT-B1&cpc=SCH&srm=0 Sorry I can't post url's yet , I just signed up last week and have been reading, not writing in the forums.

Edit: The Guaranteed to work dongle doesn't work. Cellphone mall .net doesn't have any idea what they are selling. The Kensington does work with the bth.inf mod found here, although it costs more. The regular price of the CSR ltd. item is 14.99 and is $3 off as of 4-8-2006.
Offline   Reply With Quote