Old 10-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #28
pshute
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Optus
Default Re: Wow - what an article

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody7290 View Post
However, the Blackberry still works perfect/even better then any other platform for email and texting. If your business and life depends on these things there still is IMO no better choice. Of course everyone somtimes likes a device to fondle, even those who need email and a keyboard. So even there is a fraction who will buy something else, because you more or less can do the same with it regarding mobile communications.

RIM clearly missed it to make something competetive for entertainment. The article is correct regarding this. But the core features are still superior. If RIM can live with a below 5% market share, thats fine with me, because I am on the "I dont need any app besides a mobile office and a little googling and maps" side. I even would not have the time to use it if I had it, and, if I have the time, I really do something else then using my mobile phone.
"A little googling" is what I often do on my 9800. There are many, many, websites out there that crash the browser. I'm on the most recent OS6 version and I've got no way of testing whether later OS versions don't do this. Should we risk getting Blackberries again (we have about 80), or go with iPhones that I've seen having no difficulties with these sites?

Often when when I click on a link, nothing happens. Halting the page refresh and making it start again sometimes works, but side by side with an iPhone using the same carrier, the iPhone has generally already rendered the page long ago. It's been like this for my last 4 Blackberries. Should I trust them again?

I also want to open pdf files occasionally. Blackberry support for pdfs has always been patchy. Some pdf files work, some don't, some let you zoom in close enough to read, some don't. All the ones I've tested on iPhones just work. Should I trust them on this one again?

I've got annoying bugs in the calendar app, and I've reported them, but I've given up hope they'll ever fix it for OS6.

I fear that if/when we change to iPhones here, that we'll start to discover lots of things that they aren't good at, that the app hungry fan boys around here didn't think to test. But what choice do we really have? Unless OS10 phones are released well before our contract is up, and the world goes crazy for them (I've got little hope of either), they don't have a hope of reversing the groundswell of discontent here.

Throw in the fact that they don't work as well as iPhones for actually making calls (side by side, iPhone drops out less), and I think it's too late for us to justify retaining them. It would be a pity to pull out just before they release a good one, but I've been saying that for years.

I'm not at all impressed by users who say they hate their Blackberry because they don't know how to use it, but with many things they do have a point.

Last edited by pshute; 10-21-2012 at 06:53 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote