Old 05-03-2008, 10:01 AM   #17
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonbk View Post
A few weeks ago, I checked out a commercial GPS program, Wayfinder. Link... Wayfinder UK - Home
$99/yr.
I can't recall why I moved on but others may find it worth checking out.

Now, I'm trying to decide if Nav4All is sufficient, if not, then should I go to TeleNav, or would I be better off just paying for a separate GPS device. My concern with all BB GPS programs is that they seem to be effected when you get or make a call and my BB is primarily a phone first.
It really depends on how much you rely on the gps to get you to places. If you just use it occasionally since you have the BB with you, then it probably would be sufficient. I have to admit that I have a collection - one for hiking/x-country skiing (garmin 76cs), the one I added to the BB (Freedom puck) and one for the vehicle (tomtom920).

I predominantly use the Garmin in the backcountry - it is waterproof, I can load the topo maps I need for different areas and while it does do road-routing, the screen and data-interface leaves something to be desired. Long battery life.

The TT was recently used for a trip to Canada's ski country - nice sized screen and pretty accurate (although it has less point-of-interests than the garmin) and easier data entry and it TALKS. Really needs power connection. I plan on using this when I visit LA later in summer.

The BB - well, I have the phone with me regularly (wish Verizon did not disable the gps) and it seemed a natural for those times when I want to find something more spontaneously. Also the BB data in Canada would have made routine use pretty pricey - remember, it generally needs data to do real tracking/routing. The BB might also not be suitable in really rural areas since there might not be data.

(edited to add: this reply may be straying too far from the Sticky's objective)

Last edited by FF2; 05-03-2008 at 10:04 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote