View Single Post
Old 11-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
YMS_1975

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus Mobility
Question What kind of a SIM card works in a Telus Mobility BlackBerry Tour 9630?

Please Login to Remove!

Hey folks,

I recently purchased a BlackBerry Tour 9630 from Telus Mobility. This PDA/SmartPhone is equipped to work with a SIM card. Here's the official Telus Mobility BlackBerry Tour 9630 website : BlackBerry® Tourâxxx8222;¢ 9630Â*|Â* SmartphonesÂ*|Â* PhonesÂ*|Â* TELUS Mobility

The problem is, I asked those idiots at Telus Mobility which SIM card would work with this particular BlackBerry model, and their reps (I spoke to two different reps to confirm the information) told me that their Telus SIM Card would work; listed here :
TELUS SIM CardÂ*|Â* AccessoriesÂ*|Â* PhonesÂ*|Â* TELUS Mobility

I purchased this card from Future Shop just last night, and when I inserted the SIM card, the card was registering as "Invalid SIM Card" on the screen. I then looked closer at the description of the SIM card in question, and it states it's good for the "3G+" network, whereas my PDA/SmartPhone is a "3G" device (notice the lack of the "+").

After going back and forth with their "technical support" department, they concluded it was a "defective unit". I've Googled this, and apparently it's a known issue and the device is not compatible with the card. BTW....do NOT buy any SIM Card from FutureShop if there's the remotest possibility that it might not be the right card. I spent close to one hour going back and forth with them about getting a refund. FutureShop told me "I'm sorry but we don't refund or exchange SIM cards." I told them that Telus Mobility labeled it as "defective". One hour lost in arguing for a $10 card. Morons!

Anyhoo...Telus is telling me the card works, many on the web say it's a known issue and those cards don't work, so that pretty much leaves me in limbo. I simply need a SIM card to store my contacts/addresses so that if I have to switch devices, all of my contacts are transferrable. I'm NOT looking for roaming, nor am I concerned about long distance minutes.

The only purpose/need I have for this SIM card is transferability of my addresses/contacts from one device to another (and YES, I do a LOT of that in my business so PLEASE don't ask if it's really necessary).

So WHICH type of SIM Card will work with the Telus Mobility BlackBerry Tour 9630?

Last edited by YMS_1975; 11-23-2009 at 08:29 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote