View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #22
bahurd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Re: Blackberry Protect in App World now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
There you go.

It may be safe to assume that even if there is another SIM in the device and even if there is a data plan, you probably still won't be able to do anything. But if you've waited until you lost you BlackBerry to worry about wiping it, you've already messed up long before that. A password with a suitable timeout is still your best means of protecting your data. And I have my doubts about recovering a lost or stolen BlackBerry because of the tracking feature.

I'm repeating myself, but the automatic remote backup and ability to restore to another BlackBerry is THE big thing with BlackBerry Protect, in my opinion.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
I haven't had the chance to actually try it but I don't think it's safe to assume this...

The BB identification is not SIM related as far as the hardware is concerned. If you change SIM you are just changing whoever is 'active' on the phone (in simple terms).

Even if you turn the phone on with a new SIM it tries to activate itself on the network. BIS is a RIM thing not the carrier and I expect the 'owner' who installs the app can do what the application says it can do so long as the hardware is capable (GPS related activities).
Offline   Reply With Quote