View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
y.bb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: More bars in Less places
Question BB Signal Strength-Why does Pearl maintain signal anywhere ONLY during calls

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone,

This is something that bothers me. There are places that I take my Pearl where it usually loses its connection to the network, and sometimes simply holding the phone the wrong way or keeping it in my pants pocket will cause it to lose signal (I know it loses signal because my Bluetooth earpiece beeps when this happens).

Yet, if I'm on a phone call, and I have my phone in these select places where I always lose signal, it maintains signal, as if it is trying harder to keep the connection.

For example, if I go into the basement in my house, the phone tells me it is "searching for network." But, If I was on a phone call upstairs then walked downstairs with my phone while still on the call, it maintains that call with no problem whatsoever. When I hang up, the phone immediately drops the signal and starts searching for a network again.

While this may be a strategic battery-saving method, I don't like it. This means that at times, I'm not receiving calls or emails because the phone has decided not to try as hard just because I'm not on a phone call.

Is there any way to increase the effort the phone puts into maintaining signal at ALL times, not just on a call? I don't care about losing battery life.

Can anyone else back up my observations here?

Thanks in advance!