View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #14
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T
Default Re: iPhone's new Siri vs. Vlingo Plus for BlackBerry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Yeah, I'm sure. Not only did I get generic results for locksmiths, I also got results for forums, eHow, etc. Definitely not useful. While this was a Google search page, it was contained within the Vlingo app.
OK, I went ahead and installed the free Vlingo and started playing with it too. You're right, if you tell it "I'm locked out", that's what you get. On the other hand, if I say "locksmiths in McKinney" (my Dallas suburb) then I get back distance-ordered locksmith results. Except for wow-factor, having to say "locksmiths McKinney" rather than "I'm locked out" for good results, doesn't seem like like it should be a big problem, for anyone smart enough to use the phone in the first place. After all, if I'm sitting at my computer and call up google, I'm not going to type in "I have a flat tire", I'm going to type in "automobile tires" or "auto towing" and let it give me the distance-ordered results from my current location.

Based on Apple's commercial and the "I'm locked out" result it shows, its better at interpreting conversation. So far though, I'm reasonably impressed with Vlingo's capability for fairly sophisticated everyday voice usage.

EDIT: Don't even need the "McKinney" to get back good results - it is "location aware" so simply saying "locksmith" gives very good results.

Last edited by DallasFlier; 10-28-2011 at 02:42 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote