Old 12-25-2005, 08:54 PM   #5
phillyslickster
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
PIN: 242a22a7
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by edIT
Mac User Switching from Treo 650 to 8700c? Should I take the plunge?

So i have been reading tons of threads on Pocket Mac, and the whole thread on the forgotten Mac users. I have a Treo 650. I love it, but it's very unreliable. It locks up and reboots pretty frequently. Alothough it is loaded with great apps and features. I think I would rather go with something a little bit more stable and reliable. So...... that being said. How good is the latest version of Pocket Mac for syncing just my address book, iCal and Stickies? And how am i supposed to get IM+ onto my 8700c? And I have also heard that a lot of IM apps are not working on the Cingular network? I am one of the many who have paid the extra $40 a month for unlimited internet, do I have to worry about faulty IM? Looking for answers before I go return my Treo tomorrow morning. Any help would be great.

For what you want to use the BlackBerry for, you'll definitely be good to go. I just recently returned a Treo 650 to Cingular because of the reasons that you have stated above. I'm glad that I switched back to the BlackBerry because it is much more stable than the Treo 650. I was losing too much time at work troubleshooting the device and/or being out a phone or email communications during the work. To say the least, it was very troublesome to me and made me worker harder rather than smarter.

Cingular and Palm both know of the various issues with the Treo 650 and there have been many Treo 650 users with Cingular who have recently switched to the BlackBerry or like in my case switched back to the BlackBerry. I didn't need to watch movies, take pictures, listen to MP3s and the like on my phone, so the BlackBerry is a good choice for me.

Treo 650 is good when it works, but more often than not, it doesn't work as it should.

If you're looking for IM, you can get Ramble IM for free, Yak-On for a one time fee of $19.95, Verichat for $34.95/year. There may be others out there as well. You can also use BB Messenger which is free to chat with other BB users with their PIN.

Hope this helps you. Personally, I'm glad that I made my switch back to BlackBerry. I have used the BlackBerry for 4 years.