View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 09:43 AM   #10
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

I think my opinion is right on. I am sure that RIM knows exactly how to implement removable storage, in fact I would be that they have even built prototypes with removable storage. The fact of the matter is the big customers don't want it. RIM will not make a device with a feature that the big customers don't want.

Here's what will happen... RIM will release a blackberry with removable storage, execs will like all the toys that come along with the 'newest and fastest' handheld. Now they will demand one from the company. Maybe they don't have BES, how do you protect the card. There is no encryption that can't be cracked. The NSA most likely does it best, but I am sure some of these post cold war soviets know a thing or two about crypto as well, and you can be damn sure they wouldn't mind making a few bucks.

I have never said it wouldn't be possible, and I am sure RIM has thought about pretty much every angle, and most likely have a pretty good way to do this all figured out already but until the right people say 'yes, let's do it'. It's not going to happen.

Why don't we start a letter writing campaign to the US Gov't and see if we can relax the security policy a little bit so that employees and contractors can have removable media in any building. I'm sure most of the military contractors wouldn't mind some common removable media that can be put into any number of cameras or laptops.

It's not a matter of convincing RIM to add this, it's a matter of convincing RIM customers. I have heard a number of you speak about being government contractors and such. Can you take any device you want into every site you enter, even if it has removable media? Military Bases? Intelligence Offices?

It's not about me having a poor atitude, it's about me having a realistic approach to why this will not happen anytime soon. It isn't RIM, it's the customers. We are a very small percentage of users, in the big picture we are just drops in the bucket, our opinion and brainstorming will never infuence RIM decisions.

cd.