Old 07-24-2010, 07:16 AM   #18
dbltap
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcjipo View Post
For me, I'll probably keep both PingChat and Kik on my Blackberry for the time being. Deleting PingChat from my Blackberry at this early stage would mean that I can't use the same userID again since it will think that the userID belongs to someone else.

If the Blackberry version of PingChat would/could get the same features as the iPhone version, I will be happy. I'm willing to wait since PingChat for the Blackberry is at the very early stage.
That's good to know. I'll hold on to it for a while longer as I do have one iPhone friend who uses it with me regularly.

I guess both of these kind of frost me for what they are calling beta. I really see both of them in "public alpha". By that I mean, they don't either one have the full feature set they promise the product will have upon release. In my world, anything I release to my customers in beta has to have almost all the features in place... even if there are still a number of bugs. Kik is missing all of their file sharing capabilities. The problems you are having with contacts I would call bugs. The function is there; just broken. PingChat to me is in worse shape because the lack of contact integration functionality almost makes it unusable. I would put PingChat's file sharing capabilities at a beta stage. And probably put Kik's messaging/user interaction at beta. But for the full features they both promise, neither are close. Alpha... you bet. My legal department would never let me release this level of code as beta.

They both need to get more field data for their network timing from other parts of the world. I'll only have one more opportunity to test South America in the next 2 weeks. I don't see either of them solving those issues this quickly. May be a few months before I can try again.

Due to the ID issues you mention, I'll keep both of them for now and continue testing.

WhatsApp has them both beat in functionality and stability. Just can't get everyone I know to pony up for the price.

I do want to say I appreciate the detail in the feedback you have been posting. That kind of detail is what helps develop good solutions.

Cheers.