View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
AlohaDan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
Carrier: verizon wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruechel View Post
My friend has one of those red 8830 World Edition BB's locked to VERIZON. I know it's a GSM phone despite VERIZON being largely CDMA based. I looked up the phone at gsmphonesource but i think it says they don't unlock this baby. Anyone know why? and b) it there an alternative way to do this, i.e. another company that will do it?

Thanks much in advance for your help.
Just for clarification - I have the red Verizon 8830 world and it is CDMA. The GSM part is by inserting a SIM card, you will be able to use the phone overseas which is prevalently GSM. The lock part is that you can only use a Verizon SIM card. If unlocked, then you can use other carriers SIM card and account when overseas.

Now the question came up if you could use an unlocked SIM card from a US based carrier (i.e ATT), to enable the phone to be used for calls, etc. in the US. The answer is NO at the moment. The GSM frequency that Verizon uses is not the same frequency used by US GSM carriers

Aloha!