Old 08-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #79
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxhiyanxx
i dont' understand how someone being able to buy a blackberry with an mp3 player and camera makes someone elses BB that doesn't have a camera or mp3 player any worse
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntjones
Thank god! The voices of reason, at last! All you naysayers please read the above, and then when you're done...read them again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebz
Totally agree. Some people around here are just plain paranoid.
Its not a matter of some people around here being just plain paranoid, although it MAY be a matter of some (other) people around here not paying much attention to what's been said. For the record, one more time - there are MANY government sites and more than a few corporate sites that will allow NO cell phones or PDAs on premises except BlackBerry's - whether they have cameras or removable memory not. Why? Because its not reasonable to expect security guards at the gates/doors to be familiar with each and every make and model of phone/PDA that someone is carrying to know whether or not they have a camera or memory slot, so its easier to just ban them ALL. BlackBerry's are allowed because they know that NO BlackBerry has a camera or removable memory.

So a new model BlackBerry WITH camera and/or removable memory will almost certainly result in ALL BlackBerry's being banned from at least some of these sites. Is that clear enough? Its not "just plain paranoid" or "lack of reason" of the posters here, its simple fact. And its not something that restricting the camera or memory via BES policy solves completely either. My BlackBerry is on ONLY BIS, I have no BES at all. I'm a consultant though, and have been to some of those restricted sites. My BIS-only BlackBerry is allowed onsite - again, because they KNOW it can't have a camera or memory slot - its a BlackBerry!

Last edited by DallasFlier; 08-01-2006 at 03:34 PM..