View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 06:54 PM   #39
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinzPilot View Post
I'll tell you what his problem is. It's the same as mine. He's sick and tired of trying to get this app to work. And NO....just clicking on the screen doesn't do a thing for me except "click" and then, "oh wow, how cool, I'm still in the middle of the ocean off the west coast of Africa. Maybe I've been kidnapped by pirates!"

No, the only pirates I'm aware of are the developers of this app. TopoExplorer really could be something of worthiness, but the developers have chosen to push this app onto the market and use us as their beta testers. And, the idiotic responses I've received from them(ie, "it works on our Storm") after I've spent a lot of time working with this app and providing them with detailed information for them to troubleshoot. That's insulting!!!!!!!!!!! I have a Ph.D in Geology and Geophysics, a Masters in Cartography and umpteen years of experience with GPS apps. TopoExplorer just happens to be one of those apps that sucks and it sucks because of the developers attitude towards the consumer and those who are struggling to get TopoExplorer to work.

I'm glad TopoExplorer is working for you, funkym. But, something is very different on your end in order for this app to work. Are you in the US. Are you using a Blackberry Storm 9530 on Verizon? How long did it take you to get a GPS fix. Does TopoExplorer follow your location when traveling at highway speeds (or knots in the middle of the ocean?).

What a shame when beta testing and troubleshooting is left to users on a forum with absolutely no sign of concern nor any feedback from the developer.
Hi PinzPilot,

I am really sorry for your situation as I can imagine how it feels. I'm using a Vodafone Storm which definitely has an unlocked GPS receiver (unlike Verizon's which just works with their selected apps).

Before the developer fixed the GPS issue (which obviously did not work for you) I used to do the following workflow to get a position fix into my TE:
  1. Exit TopoExplorer (pressing ESCAPE or Menu->Close)
  2. Open BlackBerry Maps
  3. Click Menu->Start GPS Navigation
  4. Wait until position fix comes ....
  5. Close BlackBerry Maps
  6. Open TopoExplorer
  7. Got a position fix straight away

From what I read in other threads, this does not seem to work for Verizon users. I think I mentioned the Verizon issue before - it is really a shame

PinzPilot, you got 1.0.82 of TE running on your Storm as well, right?
Offline   Reply With Quote