View Single Post
Old 12-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #37
mfaubert

Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT/Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillokc View Post
The post above is wrong, even if its from Cingular's site. You don't need a tethering plan if you have a data plan. Try this:

1.Install the BlackBerry desktop software.
2. Verify that you see the 'Standard Modem' in the device manager. Right click on “my computer” ; “properties” ; “Hardware” Tab; “Device Manager” and then scroll down to “modem”
3. Double click the 'Standard Modem' in the device manager and click on the advanced tab.
4. Place the following string in the extra initialization commands: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.cingular" - take care that your quotes look like normal quotes, not italicized quotes.
5. Create a dialup connection using this info:

User name = [email address]
(must be caps)

Password = CINGULAR1
(also must be caps)

Number to dial = *99***1#

6. Open up and make sure you have a USB connection established with the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
7. Connect your dialup connection.

That's it. Works fine for me. Will only work for Cingular customers, obviously.
After reading a few different threads, including a FAQ posted on this site - this is the post with the information that made it work for me. This should be copied into the FAQ and made a sticky for how to make AT&T (nee Cingular) 8800's work as a tethered modem.

I do have an unlimited BB plan, so I am curious to see if there are any additional charges posted in the future.
Offline   Reply With Quote