Old 10-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #32
pshute
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Optus
Default Re: Wow - what an article

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody7290 View Post
I agree that OS6 has its problems - I tried out about 1 year of OS6 myself, but, finally went back to OS5. I still prefer the OS5 browser over the OS6/7 version. It might not render the page as it was intented, but, it renders the page in a way, that you are able to read the important content.

But all devices working with OS7.1 i have used so far worked ok (battery run time is still not acceptable for me).
Hmm, I have a 9900 here that kind of works (got wet, goes flat quickly). Maybe I should try it for a while to see the difference in OS7.

I've never used OS5, went straight from 4.6 to 6. Does it have the tabbed browsing? That was a great advance for me, but losing column mode was a backward step. The OS6 equivalent of it just doesn't cut it sometimes.
Quote:
PDF support in the OS is ok if your BB is tied to a BES-server. If you are not using a BB connected to a BES server I think your complaints are understandable.
No, I'm on BES. This means there's a size limit for pdf files, not sure if that exists on BIS, I've never used it.

I've been meaning to make a list of pdf files I come across on the web that don't work, so I can quote them in situations like this. I think it has something to do with embedded graphics, because scanned pdfs are generally useless.

I can open some pdfs from an email, but not necessarily from a web page. I can save a pdf to memory, and then it says it can't open that kind of file. It's very confusing and there seem to be lots of combinations of pdf content types and methods of opening them to be considered. Text based pdfs seem to do much better, and I think people who have only come across these don't realise the problems that exist.

I tried a Playbook, and I can't remember the exact details, but at one stage had to save a pdf file to memory to get it to open. Not impressed.

Like I said, I fear the unexpected problems we'll encounter if/when we go iPhone (I suspect data costs and spelling mistakes will be the number one items), but I'd need to be pretty convinced of the advantages of Blackberry to push to keep them. It would be me vs 80 people who are sick and tired of being let down by their Blackberries.
Offline   Reply With Quote