View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
Medusalith
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9300
Carrier: optimus

here I am back to uptade everyone interested in my search.
today I've found out that there are SD cards that provide wi fi to handhelds that do not have it built in. Check it out at:

http://www.smartphonemag.com/cms/blo...om_just_mobile

here is an excerpt of the article:

"Lately Wireless LAN access has become the rage with mobile devices. Many newer devices come equipped with an 802.11b wireless LAN built right in. Most of the older devices do not and to take advantage of this technology requires you to purchase a separate SDIO Wi-Fi card. This is where the SDIO wireless card from Just Mobile comes in. Also known as Mobis.

It is one of the smallest SDIO Wi-Fi cards around. Externally it looks like any other Wi-Fi as you can see in this image below. The Just Mobile card is the one on the far left.

The driver integrates into Windows Mobile and allows you to use the familiar Windows Mobile wireless applet. Installation is a breeze. Just insert the CD into the PC and install while Activesynced.

2 clicks of the mouse and the driver is installed. Once the driver is installed, you can insert the card and away you go. The Wi-Fi card will activate and automatically detect an accesspoint or Wi-Fi signal. The driver will prompt you the necessary information as required by the remote connection like the encryption code. Once all the proper information has been entered, your connection will be live and you can launch the Pocket Internet Explorer from the START button. "

And I also found a very interesting pen that says in its specs that it is compatible with the BB 8700 series and this pen is for inserting sd cards.
Check it out at:
http://www.mobymemory.com/products/M...ive.asp?cat=14

I already contacted the supplier to clear out some doubts (I won't fully explain them all now, don't have the time to sorry) and be assured this pen is to plug into the 8700 since in the spects it says it is compatible and we all know the BB 8700 does not have a sd slot just the lateral mini usb port to inser the data cable or charger.

Anyway this is all interesting info for me, because even if this pen is not a mini usb pen I have seen in stores usb to mini usb adapters.

Well just exposing my thoughts.

I will see is anything of this has value to go on and try it, otherwise I won't spend any money on it (cause it will be more worth to save the bucks and buy a new handheld), because the pen is very sheap but the SDIO cards can range from 65 to 120 or more $$$ depending on if they are just wi-fi or wi-fi plus memory space.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Some people instead of comunicating just talk in turns"

Last edited by Medusalith; 06-08-2009 at 11:33 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote