Preroll
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: DTEK? What about core apps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
Blackberry added an App ( DTEK ) to fix the many security issues with PRIV Android cell phones. As with any software it may not be the perfect solution to what is software ( Android LINUX OS) that most users are clueless about. Today many people put all kind of information on their phones and never give it a thought. DTEK when used by the user is only another thing that will tell the user there may be a security issue. It is not advertised as a firewall and based on available information it is just an alarm bell.
It is also generally intended to be a security feature for separating work and guest data on the phone and notifying the user of issues when used.
Hmm... Ok thanks for the info. I got the impression it would block access to ports or certain info stored on the phone. I guess I would need a rooted firewall for that (although they say you can't root the PRIV). Sounds more like a marketing scheme more than anything.

It was mentioned someplace that Android v.6 (Marshmallow) would have something similar to iOS whereby you can grant or block access to certain personal info used by apps (i.e.: contacts, location, etc.). Perhaps that's down the pike.

Thanks.
Offline   Reply With Quote