View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 12:25 PM   #128
Dawgfan
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigschwartz View Post
I used a few layers of scotch tape inside my rails. They are much better, but I still have a slight squeek near the volume control buttons. I can't seem to make that squeek go away.
This is where I am at with this issue. I think this is as good as it gets and honestly, my "creaking" now is not that bad and would be the same on any phone with 2 more parts than was necessary. The old squeak was bad and was due to squishy sides. The little creaking I get would only be bad to someone with above average OCD and seems to be less than a mm of "squish". I am happy with my 8800 now and it does feel very solid.

Looking at the 8700 or 72xx the casing enveloped the phone more and while it may have a front and back to it it was solid and did not move. I think no matter what phone used this design, it would have the same issue. RIM was in a situation where they needed more "fashion" or "style" to their design in some of their phones and this is the result. They will learn and they will improve IMO.

FWIW, I just invested in a bluetooth headset (I know, finally) and so the volume buttons are pretty much a thing of the past anyways.