View Single Post
Old 01-18-2009, 06:33 AM   #8
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBNumber1 View Post
Interesting. With only Mobile a connection, I get on the web and go to whatismyip.com and get an ip address (206.x.x.x)

I connect to my WiFi, and get on the web, and the top line still says EDGE. If I turn off Mobile Networks, it says, Off, but I am still on the web, through my WiFi. Checking whatismyip.com gives me the same 206.x.x.x IP address.

Note that the WiFi Icon is on the second line of my home screen.
What kind of default browser are your using ?
If you use the internet-browser and not the hotspot browser as default when connected to a WiFi network, the data sent from your device will be sent from the BB via WiFi to the Blackberry Server Data Center. Therefore, your IP will still be like surfing via GPRS/3G.
If you use the Hotspot browser as default, the BB should behave like a normal PC inside the network and your IP should be different.
If you cannot select the Hotspot Browser, you have to ask your Blackberry Service-provider or the Admin of your BES server to remove the Rule which blocks access to the Hotspot Browser.

Note, that stored links and history in the BB also store the network you used when creating the link. If you made a bookmark using the internet-browser, and later launch it from the bookmarks, the BB will switch to the internet-browser, regardless what kind of default browser was choosen.

see also this post:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...h-problem.html
Offline   Reply With Quote