View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #57
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
It is far from the Christian "thing to do". While Christ taught and displayed humility almost more than anything, He also taught and spoke very clearly about who and what a follower recognizes as their "king" and "King". He leaves no room for interpretation on that question, regardless of how one interprets His words.
Do you suggest that Obama is somehow treating the Saudi king as his own king, or as his savior?

Romans 13:7-8 (NIV)

"Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor. Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law."

Quote:
But this is not about Obama's Christian intentions, it is about the sovereignty of the United States. A U.S. President is not subject to any foreign ruler.
A Christian, which Obama claims to be, is required to be respectful and loving, and to treat others with honor and dignity. That was my point. I don't believe, nor do I think any reasoning man would believe, that our national sovereignty is somehow in question because our president bowed.

Quote:
The Muslim community, in their reports and newspapers, are recognizing it as a subservient act <snip>
Source, please. It will make it easier for us to debate.

Quote:
...and even this morning I view CNN (finally) commenting on the matter, and even the newscaster there stated he saw a bow and wondered outloud how the White House could deny that.
See, this I do agree about. It was a bow. Why people are saying it wasn't a bow is beyond me. It was clearly a bow, and (to me) it's fine that there was a bow. I don't see it as a threat to liberty.

Quote:
Bowing as a U.S. President is not an act of humility or graciousness. There are physical ways to show that.
It is an act of humility and graciousness if that's what he (Obama) intended and if that's what the king perceived.

Quote:
Again, I don't think Obama and his WH Protocol staff are stupid. It was an overt act Obama made and now, as JC mentioned, the White House is flatly lieing about it.
Again, the lying is troubling to me also. No matter what the intended meaning of the bow, there is no reason to lie. It's not as if every one of us couldn't go pull it up on YouTube for ourselves.
Offline   Reply With Quote