View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 12:53 AM   #14
atomicrabbit

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus

ok i just found some time to upgrade my bb... i was able to do it successfully! here are a few notes/tips:

- You'll have to re-register and re-send the service books to your phone after the upgrade or else you won't be able to use the HTML email features... which brings me to my next point...

- HTML EMAIL ROCKS! (although I think it's going to kill my free memory lol) There is an option to "Download Images Automatically", but even when I have it set to enabled, I still have to select "Get Images" from the menu in each email. Not a big deal though. html email still rocks!!!

- SoftReset works fine.

- Opera mini works fine. There are no permission requests every time you start it -- with or without the firewall enabled.

- moving the cursor around within textboxes in the Browser works flawlessly. In fact, I find it works even better than it did in OS 4.3..btw, I love the search box on the start page in the browser! Smart idea!

- i have a LOT more free space after the upgrade than i did before the upgrade... weird! I don't have DocsToGo installed yet....but even with it, it only takes about 1mb more.

- the new media player 'seems' ...... correction... IS much more functional !!! The fullscreen mode also works better (it didn't always work for me in 4.3)

- YOUTUBE FINALLY WORKS ON MY PEARL!!!!

Weird things:

- something weird appeared in my Advanced Options after the upgrade. An item called "Wireless Update" appeared, but after deleting and re-sending my service books and a couple reboots, the item disappeared. Anyone know anything about that? EDIT: I did a bit of searching and found that "Wireless Upgrade is not yet activated on RIM's infrastructure. It doesn't do anything yet.", so I guess it's nothing to worry about.

- before I updated, I backed everything up using the 4.3 DM... yknow, just in case. Then I was going to back everything up after the upgrade using the 4.5 DM (which I upgraded to, along with the 4.5 OS)... but when backing up, I got the error, "Error backing up databases". It seemed to stop at the end of RMS databases. So I cannot make a backup. Any ideas? EDIT: I did an advanced backup and backed up each item individually and I was able to back up the RMS databases, and everything else EXCEPT KeepassBBDatabaseObject, which is part of KeepassBB. So I started up KeepassBB (since I hadn't ran it since the upgrade) and then refreshed the backup utility and was able to backup KeepassBBDatabaseObject. Then I performed a regular backup and everything worked fine.

- After installing the latest KeepassBB app, I got a weird error message that said JVM Error 547 in tiny writing on a white screen, with a Reset button just below. I clicked reset and it rebooted my pearl. After it finished booting everything was ok.... so that was weird.

- After installing Desktop Manager 4.5, I can't seem to back up third party apps by going to Device Switch Wizard. When I click the Start button, it seems to start backing up, then hang in the middle of the process. Any ideas? I tried it on 2 separate computers.
Note: This happened before and after upgrading to OS 4.5. I had upgraded the Desktop Manager first, then went to back everything up from my 8130 with OS 4.3 still. It would always hang on the third party backup. After uninstall Desktop Manager 4.5 and re-installing DM 4.3, I was able to backup no problem. Like I said this happened on 2 separate computers, so I don't think it's specific to the computer, but rather a bug in the DM 4.5 software. Same thing happened after I upgraded the OS to 4.5. Any ideas?

Last edited by atomicrabbit; 10-28-2008 at 12:25 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote