Old 04-15-2009, 10:53 PM   #12
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by david9962000 View Post
That's too bad, that device has so much potential.
I agree with you 1000%. The hardware is fantastic. I'm not at all happy that the experience of using it was so dreadful. My wife and I both love the screen, keyboard and sound. It's unfortunate it is saddled with such a sad OS. Frankly, I don't know how a corporation can get away with selling such unmitigated crap such as the OS on this phone. If it was installed on some obscure, cheap, entry level phone who would care? But the Storm was supposed to be an awesome phone. It never will in my eyes unless RIM tosses the entire CONCEPT of their OS and start from SCRATCH. I'm serious. They need to start over COMPLETELY and put some user interface thought into the OS. I am a real stickler when it comes to UI. Part of my background includes providing UI suggestions to the coders at my previous place of employment. I have a knack for pointing out interface elements that digress from the expected norm, which always translates to a frustrated user. The Storm's OS wouldn't have made it out the door if I was involved and had any authority. I'd have nixed it's method of navigation at every "turn". How lame is the "close an app THREE separate times" issue? Or no clear way to see what apps are open? Or no way to quickly to go to speakerphone mode if u answer phone when screen is in landscape? The Help feature on the phone is inadequate, as is the User Guide. One should not have to haunt forums to find out how to use the phone. IF I didn't have to pay an extra $60 a month for the data plan for the two phones, and the software was improved drastically, I might be willing to continue to use a Storm. Since neither of those things are happening, I'm again in the market for a nice phone. Maybe a Pre...or maybe a Storm 2 if RIM starts from scratch with the OS for that one. IF not, the 2 will only be an incremental improvement--I need much more than that.

Last edited by dave1812dave; 04-15-2009 at 10:54 PM..