View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 05:16 PM   #40
prubenstein
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular
Default Bluetooth and RIM Support

I thought I would add my experience with RIM and Cingular. I have had my 8700c for about 2 weeks now. It replaced my 7290. I have a 2003 BMW 330 i with the BMW Bluetooth unit dealer installed. It paired and worked flawlessly with my 7290 (except for the known incompatibility of not using the BB phone book). When I paired it with my 8300, it paired just fine then within a minute the BB spontaneously rebooted and continue to reboot every minute or so thereafter. I have a JABRA 250 headset which works just fine with the 8300.

I called Cingular and was quickly put through to RIM support. For the last week I have been working directly with RIM. They had me run a number of diagnostics and e-mail the log files directly to them. They have been unfailingly courteous, quick to answer the phone and responsive. Today they told me that they've been unable to replicate the problem on any of their units and wanted me to return my unit so that they could troubleshoot it directly. The person I was dealing with said he would contact Cingular while I stayed on the line to arrange for Cingular to send me out a new handheld.

I was put on hold and about 10 minutes later the RIM representative said that the first person he spoke with at Cingular told him that Cingular did not offer the 8700. He finally got through to someone in the right department and after another half-hour we finally got the exchange arranged and my new 8700 should be here sometime next week. Hopefully, my problem is unique to my specific unit.

I must say I have been very impressed with the level of both customer and technical support offered by RIM. My experiences with Cingular
are as always hit and miss. From call to call you just never know whether you will connect with someone who has the requisite knowledge to be of help. But it does seem as if they are trying to improve their customer relations.

I will provide an update as to how my new unit works in my BMW after I have had a chance to try it out.

I have found this group to be an incredibly valuable source of information and I hope to be able to participate when I think that I have something useful to add.