Old 12-13-2007, 05:43 AM   #43
Paul Bowles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdobbles View Post
I had posted the issue below elsewhere in this forum and just today saw this thread. It sounds like I'm experiencing exactly the problem described at the top of this thread. Like the original poster, I'm working on this for a work project. The steps outlined below where witnessed by a second engineer who I brought in so he could see if he saw anything unusual in the steps I was taking. Here's my original post:

I have been running the RIM provided Bluetooth Sample application to communicate with a serial port dongle. My problem is that after I first pair the device to get the application to work I have to first power down my cell phone and remove the battery. If I do this, then the device list that I can connect to includes to Bluetooth serial port dongle to which I desire to connect. (In the RIM provided sample app this list is returned from the Java call _portInfo = BluetoothSerialPort.getSerialPortInfo();)

Here's the exact experiment I did:
1. Bluetooth Sample is working. I am able to type data on my Blackberry and have it come out on in Hyperterminal on the PC and vice versa.

2. Close the application. (Really closing it, by using the menu option and selecting close, not just leaving it run in the background.)

3. Go to options->Bluetooth on my phone and delete the device.

4. Add the device under options->Bluetooth. After a search the serial port dongle that I want communicate with comes up. I pair with it. It as me the numeric code and I give it. At this point the blue light on the phone flashes and the item appears bold in the list of devices (which I think means paired and connected). I believe a moment later the blue light goes away and it is not connected. (At some point it definitely is not flashing the blue, I'm just not sure when.)

5. I return to my BluetoothSample and start it up. Under the list of items that you can connect to the Bluetooth serial port dongle no longer appears. (As I noted earlier this list is returned in the provided sample by the Java call BluetoothSerialPort.getSerialPortInfo()). This is the failure. Eventhough I believe I am paired with this serial port Dongle, it does not show up in the list and I can't use the application.

6. If I power down my phone, disconnect the battery (which is necessary, powering down is not enough), and I start back up and go to my BluetoothSample app, now the dongle appears in the list of items I can connect to and I can get the application to work.
Next time this happens try this:

After the dongle is paired highlight it on the list of paired devices, press the menu button on the BB and select Device properties. Check at the bottom under services and see if it lists SPP slave or if it is just completely blank.

I have a feeling that you will find this blank. If you press the menu button again and select refresh service list it should force it to install the SPP slave services for the dongle and then I think you should see it from within your application.

Its really bloody annoying when you are trying to develop a new product for a faulty platform :( I wouldn't mind even if it was just consistently faulty but when you are trying to explain to a customer that the fault is with the BB and not your product and they have something else connected via bluetooth that is working fine it is hard to convince them.

Last edited by Paul Bowles; 12-13-2007 at 05:47 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote