View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
dmj2012

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Odd Gmail app problem

Please Login to Remove!

I'm a new Blackbnerry owner. I've had my Pearl 8120 about a month. I'm in the US. T-mobile is my carrier. The OS is 4.3.0.115.

My phone came with the Gmail app preinstalled, and I like its features better than the phone's push options, so I use the Gmail app. A couple of days ago I had some issues where the app crashed. Odd things happened, including the app still showing on the home page, and working fine, but with the Applications list on the phone and the Google Mobile Updater claiming the app wasn't installed.

After days of uninstalling and re-installing the app, and uninstalling all of Google's stuff from the phone, I've got the issue partially solved, but with an odd quirk.

The version of Gmail currently installed is 2.0.5. I'm assuming this is the most recent because the same version installs whether I use the BlackBerry browser or if I use Google Mobile Updater. This is obviously a different version of the app, with different features, than the one that was installed previously. I don't know the version number on the older app.

The weird thing is that the old app had a nice, crisp high-res icon on the home page. It was a red icon with the Gmail symbol upright. The new app has an ugly, low-res icon that shows the Gmail symbol off-kilter. I know it's a minor annoyance, but it's driving me up the wall. What's up with that? How do I get a decent-looking icon back.

The other odd thing is that until I uninstalled the pre-installed version, Google Mobile Updater said that Gmail was up to date with the pre-installed app, which was definitely a different one from this app (different context menu, slightly different features, different contacts management, etc.).

Any clues as to what's going on? I'd like to make sure I've got the most recent version, I'd like a decent icon, and I'd like to figure out what the heck the old app was.
Offline   Reply With Quote