View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 06:25 PM   #9
jcrawfor
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default E911 + Gps

Yes, definitely the GPS chip in Sprint/Nextel phones is far more than an E911 thing. It is a full blown GPS transmitter/receiver.

My understanding of wireless E911 is this...

In order to dial 911 on a cell phone and have the call routed to the proper 911 call center requires the cell carriers's network to know where you are. My understanding is that this is still done with triangulation and other exotic techniques, but after some date the feds started requiring all new handsets equipped with a GPS transmitter (that cannot be shut off).

Nextel (the dots have been around for awhile) has long considered GPS their killer app and marketed it towards business, schools, and goverments accordingly. Sprint inherited a lot of this.

The other carriers are all now pushing GPS too (Boost has the crazy friend tracker thing now). Verizon offers turn by turn directions on most (if not all) of their new handsets

Personally, I messed around with TeleNAV and I prefer dedicated GPS units (I use a TomTom in the car and then two different handheld Garmin units).

Jeff

Last edited by jcrawfor; 01-09-2007 at 06:31 PM..