Old 08-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #15
tomtheguitarguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg View Post
I don't consider myself stupid (but I suppose neither to most stupid people ). However, I simply don't know enough about how GPS tracking is implemented in smartphones to know what is BS and what is not.

The fact that the new Q has GPS enable could mean that Verizon is simply blowing smoke up our a$$ regarding the 8830 - or it could simply mean that the Q simply has a different (and more "secure" per Verizon's security standards) implementation of GPS tracking.

So the $64000 question becomes "If you're doing this because of security concerns, why is GPS enabled on the new Motorola Q?" The OP didn't ask this question because s/he presumably didn't know about the new Q. If anyone here can ask someone "in the know" at Verizon this question, I'd LOVE to hear the answer.
Help me out here. Where are you seeing that the GPS is enabled on the new Q? When I looked at the site it showed that it was "aGPS for e911", not that it had GPS on it. aGPS for e911 is on all new phones if I'm not mistaken, and is not the same thing as good ole GPS (autonomous).

Thanks.
tomtheguitarguy