Old 10-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D
Carrier: AT&T
Default Ascendo Data Vault Feature Request

Please Login to Remove!

First of all, a new user comment for Data Vault. The pictures you see on line for this application do not do it justice. It has a tree view mode, which makes access to data so much better than what is shown in the screen shots. The screen shots show nothing but clutter, and in reality, you have a tree mode where you can pick a record from a list of records, and see just that record easily just like a good database screen.

I found Data Vault to be another one of these must-have applications, where once you get into it, you wonder how you lived without it. I'd say the application is darn near feature complete. However, I do have one feature which I feel is missing and would make the product notably better.

First let me briefly explain a simple use of the app, so my suggestion is well understood and grounded.

Data Vault allows you to create templates, essentially mini databases modeled after the information you would like to store. As an example, I have a database which stores credit cards. It asks for common information needed to hold all the credit card information you'd expect you'd need access to. That means the fields I have are the name of the bank, my name, the credit card number, the exp date, the csv, the 800 number of the bank, the limit, and so on. So that mini database is geared to credit card related fields of information. We can all relate to this. But, there is more you can do, and that's where my feature request comes into view.

I have clients that have personal FTP accounts on my FTP server. I have well over 60 of these accounts. And so I created a mini database which has fields created for the host name, the ftp user ID, the password, the folder location, and so on. But what would make this Data Vault really sing, is if I could email a record to a client. What I mean is, a client will ask me the following question; what are my login credentials on your FTP server? I'd like to find that client's FTP record on DataVault in tree mode, so I am highlighting their record, and then option click and see an option to email that record, unprotected. So the data in that record is added to a new email which has the field names and the field data in text and in portrait view, not cell view from left to right, and ready to send to the client. I can even use the notes field to give pre-formatted user instructions in how to use the FTP credentials.

So basically, I want the option to send an entire record integrated into DataVault. Whatever I have in the record, ought to become the body of text in an email. That would make this product soar to the status of legendary in my opinion.

Best regards,

Alex Alexzander

Last edited by Alex Alexzander; 10-03-2007 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: simple rewording
Offline   Reply With Quote