Old 08-31-2008, 01:58 AM   #59
Elrohir59
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by locked/unlocked as those terms are applied in different places. The phone can be "locked" with a password. Then I gather that the phones can be or are locked/unlocked to carriers (I've verizon so I don't know this issue) and further the sim card aspect can be locked/unlocked (this is a verizon 8830 issue).

But it appears that the Garmin 5 version uses DATA to get the maps and probably the routing. It also has access to weather and traffic and uses data for that obviously.

There is/was a Garmin product that apparently stored the maps on an SD card and probably did not need DATA.

I think this product is for the lifetime of your device - that is change device and you probably lose your registration but I don't know for sure.
I second FF2. I used Garmin on a trip from Calgary to Utah and back and I noticed that when I happen to be in a location where there is no cell coverage of any kind Garmin does not work. Also, my understanding is that the $99 is a one-time fee good for the life of your device. If you install the trial version and run it for the first time, it will connect to Garmin's servers, ostensibly to retrieve some "settings". I think it logs your device's ESN (that hex thing that's unique to every device, sort of like a NIC's MAC address) so it knows you're using their trial version. I loaded the 7-day trial version, and after two days erased it and reinstalled it from the link provided. It installed fine, but then told me that my trial period ends in 5 days. So, it knows.

Elrohir59
Offline   Reply With Quote