Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 10:10 AM   #1
BB1877
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon
Default Migrating BES: What's Safer?

Please Login to Remove!

I need to move my 2.2.3.11 BES for Domino to a new box at another data center. The Notes Server name, servername, and IP will all change.

I read through RIM's "Single-Stage Server Migration" document, where you build the new BES and copy over the SRP information, copy over the BES folder, down the old server, and bring up the new one. Will the name and IP changes affect this scenario? Do users have to recradle? Can I upgrade to SP5 at the same time?

Or is it safer to request a temporary SRP and migrate users, knowing they will have to recradle?
Old 04-22-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

SRP Identifier + SRP Auth Key + BES Admin Account + BES Virtual Server name

keep all of those the same and you won't have any issues. you can do a fresh install, upgrade to SP5, etc. without having to worry about users having to recradle. the database contains IT Policy information, so you will want to keep that, most likely.

IP address and server name changes won't affect it, so long as you keep the BES virtual server as the same name.

but it would be smart on your part to add a disclaimer stating something along the lines of 'if you do experience any issues, recradle your handheld'...
Old 04-22-2005, 04:24 PM   #3
merlin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: 2059E07F
Carrier: O2 UK

Is that the same for Exchange?

I have a BES4 with MSDE on a server and need to relocate it. The new server will probably end up with the same name. I am going to copy the database across to the new server, but solong as I keep the same SRP Identifier + SRP Auth Key + BES Admin Account + BES Virtual Server name will that be all I need to copy from the old server then?

Merlin
Old 04-24-2005, 12:19 AM   #4
Nde
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: BBC
Carrier: TMobile

I think you are looking for the Knife-edge cut over pdf from blackberry.com. It lets you bring up another BES on another hardware and your client don't have to re-cradle. Same SRP and BES server name. Server name and IP can be changed if you want.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:04 PM   #5
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Is that the same for Exchange?

I have a BES4 with MSDE on a server and need to relocate it. The new server will probably end up with the same name. I am going to copy the database across to the new server, but solong as I keep the same SRP Identifier + SRP Auth Key + BES Admin Account + BES Virtual Server name will that be all I need to copy from the old server then?

Merlin
Merlin, I use BES for Exchange, as well. It works this way. I've simulated 4.0 to 3.6 to 4.0 upgrade and downgrade scenarios - just using the same SRP Identifier, SRP Auth Key, BES admin account and BES virtual server name and it works just fine... no recradles needed for OS 3.x and OS 4.0 users.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:50 PM   #6
BB1877
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
Merlin, I use BES for Exchange, as well. It works this way. I've simulated 4.0 to 3.6 to 4.0 upgrade and downgrade scenarios - just using the same SRP Identifier, SRP Auth Key, BES admin account and BES virtual server name and it works just fine... no recradles needed for OS 3.x and OS 4.0 users.
Bumping this back up as I'm about ready to roll. I need clarification on the term "BES Virtual Server name". Is this the same as the Domino Server name?

If not, is this specified when you install the BES? It's been over a year and I can't recall.

Our Domino Server name is slightly different than the BES servername shown in BlackBerry Server Manager.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:23 PM   #7
jibi
BlackBerry God

Instance Name. For example, the physical server name is PRODBES1, and the instance name under 3.6 (for Exchange, atleast) defaults to PRODBES11. I'm sure its something similar with Notes BES, although I can't verify that 100%. The latter part of your reply (now that I finished it halfway through my own reply) is what you're looking for - the BES servername in the Manager.