BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2005, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post Thanks: 0
Question Desktop Manager/Redirector with BES for GroupWise

Please Login to Remove!

I've seen references to being able to use the desktop manager with BES to use the BlackBerry router to do synchronization via cable instead of OTA. But when I install the Desktop Manager software and choose "GroupWise" as the e-mail platform, it doesn't give me the option to install it in "redirector" mode (much less specify if we want to use Desktop or Enterprise redirection).

Am I missing something?

Thanks
Old 04-24-2005, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Post Thanks: 32

The Desktop Redirector works only with Exchange. Minor problem...
Old 04-24-2005, 06:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's pretty much what I figured, but the BES for GW documentation specifically talks about using DM in "redirector" mode, so it started me wondering if I was missing something.

Plus, the documentation talks about being able to administratively "push" handheld software updates to the users from the BES server. But without installing it in "Enterprise Redirector" mode, the desktop manager has absolutely no clue that there's a BES server out there.

I just upgraded my the software on my 7520 using the desktop manager, but because the desktop manager isn't synchronized with our BES server, I had to re-activate the handheld with the BES server, which resulted in duplicate e-mails and calendar items being pushed back down to the handheld.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

We don't even use DM on our PC's anymore. BES GW has been stable enough that we don't need it.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just curious, how do you handle upgrading the handheld software? As I mentioned above, I upgraded the software on my 7520 using DM and it forced me to go through the enterprise activation again which resulted in duplicate e-mails and calendar items.

Would this not have happened if I had upgraded the handheld using the BES Manager?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
BBF Veteran User

We are on BES GW and when handheld upgrades are available, we make arrangements to pull the devices in and reactivate them.

It's about a 2-3 week process, at most 2x a year. Usually only once.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

The Blackberry Handheld Manager can be used to talk to the BES server through the BlackBerry Router - effectivily bypassing the wireless network.

Take a look at the Remote Loader for installing apps/upgrading devices.

The Handheld Management Guide goes into some detail on this topic.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschieman
The Blackberry Handheld Manager can be used to talk to the BES server through the BlackBerry Router - effectivily bypassing the wireless network.

Take a look at the Remote Loader for installing apps/upgrading devices.

The Handheld Management Guide goes into some detail on this topic.
That's what my original post was referring to...but what you describe is an option only if you're using Exchange. When you go to install the desktop manager software and select "GroupWise" as your e-mail platform, it doesn't give you the option to install the redirector.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
BBF Veteran User

Not when on BES, of course not. Why would you need the redirector when using BES 4.0?
Old 04-25-2005, 03:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrye
Not when on BES, of course not. Why would you need the redirector when using BES 4.0?
Well, for one reason because it allows you to push handheld updates down to users' desktops so that they can do their own upgrades instead of it taking 2-3 weeks of an admin's time to do them all him/herself.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
BBF Veteran User

Well, considering how infrequently we do upgrade, usually once a year, it cuts way back on potential problems.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

I am using the Handheld Manager with GroupWise. It is included in the version 4 desktop software.

Take a look at App Loader. You can install the BB device software on a central computer, create a share, and have the users launch the Application Loader which will do the device upgrade.

Page 33 of the Handheld Management guide for GroupWise.

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...owse&sort=name
Closed Thread