BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 01:31 PM   #1
jarthurs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Talking Hardy BB survives toilet

Please Login to Remove!

Yes... the toilet. I was stupid enough to clip my plastic holster on to my track pants. Went to the washroom, flushed, stood up and heard a splash. 7250 was submerged. I pulled it out dried it off for about 16 hours and it still works perfectly. Hope I never have to get a replacement battery now that the indicator sticker on the battery is red. But as a word of advice, NEVER use holster on anything other than a belt!
Old 01-04-2006, 01:48 PM   #2
compscibOi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7250/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Brings new meaning to shitty BB. Glad it works ok.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Call me a sensitive guy, but I just counldn't bring myself to put it up to my face again once it hit the toilet. At best case, after baking it for hours, taking it apart and steam cleaning everything, I would have to replace the outer case.

And even then, the last thing I want to hear from my wife is "what's that brown spot on your cone & what colone is that, ode de le toilete" ;)
Old 01-04-2006, 02:24 PM   #4
jarthurs
Thumbs Must Hurt

It did some freaky things for the first couple hours though. I couldnt even get pass the password. Tried to hit the light button and a character would pop up in the password field, delete added two characters, shift wouldnt let me input numbers, and holding down the backlight key wouldnt shut it down. I had to keep removing the battery so it would shut off. Talk about a New Years SPLASH!
Old 01-04-2006, 03:04 PM   #5
codyman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: verizon

I see you are flushed with success over your drying out process....
Old 01-04-2006, 03:04 PM   #6
codyman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: verizon

the fact that it still works has bowled me over....
Old 01-04-2006, 03:11 PM   #7
Ragrots
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

At least you flushed first...
Old 01-04-2006, 03:14 PM   #8
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

BlackBerries can survive quite an immersion. I disassembled my old BlackBerry 7280 two years ago (bought as a broken unit, reported as puddle-damaged) and submerged the motherboard for 10 minutes in distilled water to clean contaminants, before reassembling it. Baked at 180 degrees F for 3 hours (motherboard only, no screen, no casing), then reassembled. Then it worked much better.

When disassembled, don't wash the disassembled removed screen though, just wash the plastic parts and circuit board, and then bake the circuit board in a hot summer equivalent of a parked car (or open oven set at 180 degrees F, somewhere significantly below the boiling point of water is normally safe for drying out circuit boards).

The most important thing is to REMOVE THE BATTERY immediately once you realize your BlackBerry is exposed to water. Dry it out (preferably disassembled) before testing. It may take one week if you do not disassemble. 18 hours is not enough if it was underwater for a longer period of time -- the battery can short circuit and/or burn out the BlackBerry electronics (water + electricity = damage) but (clean water without electricity == safe to BlackBerry). That's why it is so important to immediately banish the battery after exposure to water -- and dry out completely before succumbing to temptation to "test" the BlackBerry with the BlackBerry.

Same goes for other electronics gadgets immersed in water (cameras, PDA's, etc). Some parts are unrepairable upon water exposure, but certain models such as BlackBerry 7280's can recover from a good water exposure if resusication is followed properly...

(This becomes somewhat more complicated if the water is corrosive such as saltwater. If you drop in the ocean or other corrosive fluid by accident -- you need to commence resusication procedures immediately. Get rid of the battery temporarily. In some cases, even washing under tap water immediately for several minutes, can be become a necessary temporary solution, to displace the more-corrosive salt water fluid with less-corrosive tap water, "buys you time" to resusicate a water-damaged electronics gadget -- while you frantically hunt for the right kind of screwdriver to disassemble the unit to get rid of the corrosive fluid)
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 01-04-2006 at 03:18 PM..
Old 01-04-2006, 03:19 PM   #9
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491

Ok, I’ll ask.

How many attempts did it take you to pull out your BB from the toilet?

I mean, if it was me, I would be a bit hesitant to grabbing something in the toilet that is floating next to “something” that should be flushed.

-MrKyoo
Old 01-04-2006, 03:24 PM   #10
jarthurs
Thumbs Must Hurt

HAHA! Luckily the disposables had already left the scene. It was more like instinct, grab and pull, although I washed my hands a bit more vigorously following the incident.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:25 PM   #11
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

I still say you should have flushed them both. Now when people smell you coming, they won't be asking "is that a brick you are holding next to your ear" they will be saying "holy sh*t, is that a turd you are holding to your head" or the term "sh*tfaced" takes on a whole new meaning
Closed Thread