Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
Srwilliams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default So Long Trackwheel

Please Login to Remove!

I am new to the blackberry world and have fallen in love with the 8700c that I have used for the last three weeks. I owned the Nokia 6800, Sony Ericson P910a, Treo 650, PPC 6700, Nokia E61, and now the BB 8700c. Although I purchased the 87oo reluctantly (after my Nokia E61 was stolen), and mostly because I wanted to try something new, I am amazed at how Blackberries blow all of these other phones away. I mean there is absolutely no comparison. BBs are the absolute best and I am a true convert.

However, I am cripled by one major flaw. I AM LEFT HANDED. And that darn trackwheel on the right side of the BB drives me absolutely nuts. If you are left handed, you have to use the 8700 with two hands, there is no getting around it.

Well, I went over to Tmobile just to sample the pearl's trackball. I did this in anticipation of the 8800, hoping that I would not like the trackball. I wanted an excuse to keep my 8700 (that I have only owned for 3 weeks) whenever the 8800 is released. Well, let me tell you, that trakball adds a whole new dynamic to the BB. I mean navigation is lightening fast and makes getting around the software super easy. Using it and then going back to the trackwheel was like going back a step. And I say this wanting to not like the trackball. And for left handers, the trackball welcomes all lefties to the BB arena. It is like heaven for us lefties. I really think the trackball makes blackberries the king of one hand operation (including for lefties) and shoots BB past the Treos in that regard.

All I can say is that if the output volume and key board spacing on the 8800 is as good as the 8700, come December or the first part of 2007 I am going to be owning one. That is how much I fell in love with the trackball

Charlester
Old 10-02-2006, 09:32 PM   #2
J.W.
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g

Funny, coming off my Treo, I realized how much better I liked the center 4-way navigation. It just makes more sense. No biggee tho', I can get used to just about anything and I'm already in tune with the trackwheel.

Being a righty, it never occurred to me that a lefty would have an issue with it until just now.

I looked at the Pearl, and it's nice, but I wanted the "full" keyboard of the 8700.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:33 PM   #3
BES admin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

I have an 8100, and I too was VERY reluctant and EXTREMELY skeptical of the track-ball.

I have had this unit for two weeks, and even though during the first few days I experienced "Phantom Track Wheel" (always trying to use the track wheel) I must say, I have moved past that and have embraced the track-ball.

Loving it so far. Can't wait to get my hands on an 8800.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:02 PM   #4
Srwilliams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

I am telling you guys, that track-ball was magnificent. I know a lot of us resist change, but I am betting you that the trackwheel will be a thing of the past in the next two years

C
Old 10-03-2006, 12:58 AM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srwilliams
However, I am cripled by one major flaw. I AM LEFT HANDED. And that darn trackwheel on the right side of the BB drives me absolutely nuts. If you are left handed, you have to use the 8700 with two hands, there is no getting around it.
That's definitely not true. I use my 8700 one-handed all the time and I'm left handed. You obviously can't use it one handed in exactly the same way that righties do but surely as a lefty you're used to adapting?
Old 10-03-2006, 01:43 AM   #6
jcclow
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Maybe Ned Flanders could hook you up with a lefty version of it (Simpson's reference for those of you who don't know). Sorry couldn't help it.

I'd like to see the trackball and a full keyboard. The trackball on the Sidekick 3 is pretty cool. I can't even imagine it with the BB OS. Way cool!
Old 10-03-2006, 02:28 AM   #7
dizzle247
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: sprint

well shoot, if you're switching to a pearl, i want my damn unlock codes back

hehe kidding

i too am waiting for the 8800 to come out .. i'll be in heaven when that phone comes out!
Since when did these things get so freaking advanced?!
Old 10-03-2006, 02:40 AM   #8
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

8800 will kick butt!!

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 10-03-2006, 02:47 AM   #9
dizzle247
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: sprint

hehe, i'ma laugh when they come out with the "bb 10,880!"
Since when did these things get so freaking advanced?!
Old 10-03-2006, 04:48 AM   #10
walds11
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 3GS
Carrier: at&t

When will Cingular be releasing the Pearl?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:40 AM   #11
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
That's definitely not true. I use my 8700 one-handed all the time and I'm left handed. You obviously can't use it one handed in exactly the same way that righties do but surely as a lefty you're used to adapting?
I'm a leftie and I hold the BB in my right hand. It leaves your left hand free for other things. In my view the BB is layed out more for lefties.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:33 AM   #12
bjallen2880
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
Agreed. While the trackball idea looks promising to fellow lefties, our brethren have been accustomed to adapting to a righty world - from pinching our fingers in righty scissors to flipping notebooks over and starting from the back. On the BlackBerry, I adapted by using my left index finger to scroll and my middle finger for the back button.

I still am eagerly awaiting the 8800
Closed Thread