Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
prissy_jav

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Digicel Jamaica
Default BIS disconnected despite EDGE signal

Please Login to Remove!

Good day. I am new to the blackberry world and just purchased a unlocked T-Mobile Blackberry 8900 and proceeded to restore to factory settings. I now noticed that despite a EDGE symbol, my BIS status says Im disconnected and I am not able to configure my email accounts or add contacts to BB messenger. I contacted my BIS service provider and they have resent the service books. Am I missing some setting that I need to activate after doing a wipe.

any assistance would be appreciated.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Is it really EDGE and not edge?

Did you receive the confirmations when the service books were sent?

Not sure why you would be having trouble adding contacts. That to me is an unrelated matter.

Try a hard reset if you have not already done so. With the power on, remove the battery for 30 seconds or so.

Last edited by aiharkness; 02-17-2010 at 02:38 PM..
Old 02-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
prissy_jav

Yes...the EDGE is in caps and I did recieve confirmation about the service books. The contacts Im refering to are my bb contacts. I've done the hard reset about 3 times.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

Ok. I see I misread your post re contacts. I was thinking address book and didn't catch that you are talking about messenger.

Let's take email first. When you say your status shows that you are disconnected, I don't know what you mean (... that is, what exactly you are looking at).

If you open options > mobile network, is data services set to on. I'm assuming it is if you received the service book confirmations. But double check. (EDIT: I see that turning off data services causes EDGE to go to edge, which makes sense. So if you have EDGE, you *should* be connected to the RIM network.)

How are you adding email? Are you using the wizard on the blackberry device, or doing it through a web portal on a computer? At what step do you run into trouble?

Last edited by aiharkness; 02-17-2010 at 03:34 PM..
Old 02-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

aiharkness
its under manage connections. theres something like connection status you click - sending you to the screen listing the services and how they are connected.
BIS : connected
wi-fi

Mobile signal
GPRS (bars)

Bluetooth: OFF

As an example.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 02-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
prissy_jav

Whein I go to Options-->Mobile Network, Data service is set to on. However, when I go to Manage Connections-->Services Status it says my Blackberry Internet Service is not connected.

In regards to email, when I go to Setup on the Blackberry I do not see the Manage Email folder. The icons for the accounts I had previously set up have disappeared and I assumed thats because I restored the phone to factory settings.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven
aiharkness
its under manage connections. theres something like connection status you click - sending you to the screen listing the services and how they are connected.
BIS : connected
wi-fi

Mobile signal
GPRS (bars)

Bluetooth: OFF

As an example.
Ahh.... I'd forgotten about that!

And if on that screen you bring up the menu and select mobile network options, you are taken the same mobile network options screen.

I'm guess if the OP is seeing BIS not connected but sees EDGE on the device, and also did receive the service book confirmations, and a hard reset doesn't fix it, the problem is not with the device.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

Ok. New information. I was wondering but forgot to ask: So this is not first blackberry for you? You are switch to another blackberry, and you already have BIS from previous blackberry?

I'm confused on the fact that you received the service book confirmations. You need to associate the new PIN with your BIS account instead of the old PIN. It would seem you already did, or your carrier did for you, because you say you received the service books.

If you already had email setup on BIS, you switched the PIN, and resent service books, your BIS email folders, etc should have been pushed to the device.

I'm wondering if there is an IT policy on the device. Did you check that?

Another thought, in the mobile network options, do you have the option to set preferred connect? Maybe it is automatic, but if not, make sure it isn't set to wifi only.

Last edited by aiharkness; 02-17-2010 at 03:55 PM..
Closed Thread