Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 05:42 AM   #1
JAKEMM

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: .
Default Help

Please Login to Remove!

Hi I went and bought a Blackberry 9000 yesterday on Contract.
I had to leave early though so they said to save time they wouldn't add the Internet item to my contract and I could add it myself. I just rung Vodafone and added it and they said do I want help setting it up. I said yes however they were having technical problems and couldn't put me through.

How do I activate the Internet on it?
Also how do I register it?
How do I create a new email address for it?
Also it says it has GPS, however it isn't on the Menu or Apps list? Where would it be?
Also when I go to install the Apps store on my laptop with it plugged in, it comes up with an error saying it's not supported on my Blackberry. How can I install it?

Thanks in advance
Jake
Old 05-10-2009, 05:51 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

On the BIS activation, you have paid for it and the carrier has added it to your account and all that, right?

Then go to options, advanced, host routing table, then bring up menue and select register. If the service books aren't pushed to you, then tey removing the battery for 30 seconds or so.

I don't know about your carrier, but I've had it take a few hours between when the carrier adds BIS to the account until when the service is actually enabled on the blackberry handset.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:54 AM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

On email, look for the setup wizard icon on the screen. Click it and go from there. There's also an icon, manage internet email.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:03 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

On GPS, first thing to understand, in case you don't, is the gps component is just what provides your location information. The second compnent is the mapping/navigation application.

Blackberry Maps is the native application. I'm not sure, but you may not see the icon for it, nor see it in applications list, intill the service books are pushed to your blackberry.

There are other mapping/nav applications, some for purchase and others that are free. See the gps subforum.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:04 AM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

I don't know anything about the apps store. No experience.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:10 AM   #6
JAKEMM

Thanks
I've done what was said in your first post and it is now registered.
The gprs on the home screen has now changed to GPRS.

When installing the App store it now goes through but gets to a page with a bar showing how much is installed but it doesn't do anything else?

I also installed the google App for the Maps thing and similarly, when I click on the maps bit, it says it has to be downloaded and then the bar doesn't move at all.

It's been connected to WiFi and the internet through that will work fine, it even downloaded the free google app but just won't add the extra bit which it says needs to be downloaded.

How will I know when the serivce books are pushed?

Thanks for all your help
Old 05-10-2009, 06:16 AM   #7
JAKEMM

Just tried to intall the App program again and this time it has gone through. The Google thing is still the same though. If it's a problem with google I don't mind, I just want to make sure the Blackberry is working fine.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:17 AM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I haven't used anything google on the blackberry in a long time. I don't know answer to your questions there.

You should see notification messages in your inbox when the service books are pushed to you. You can also go into the options and look at the service book entries, if you are curious, *but just look*.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:30 AM   #9
JAKEMM

Hi
Thanks very much
I've managed to set it all up and the Maps App has come through and it has let me set up all my email accounts.

One last thing if it's alright. My laptop has Bluetooth and I wondered if I can use it to connect my Blackberry to, rather then by the USB lead. When I open the Desktop Manager software and click Options>Connection Options, It shows Bluetooth options however they're ghosted and I can't click on them?

Thanks again
Old 05-10-2009, 06:34 AM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I know you can connect the blackberry to the computer via bluetooth and do sync's and backups. I've never done it, so wouldn't know how to walk you though it.

By the way, have you noticed the link to blackberryfaq.com at the top of the fourm. I think there is a bluetooth section of articles. Answer might be there.

And welcome to the group!
Old 05-10-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

In order for the bluetooth connection is Desktop manager to not be ghosted is to make sure bluetooth is active.
For example, if my bluetooth dongle isn't in my pc, the options are ghosted.
once connected the dongle, the options will un-ghost and you can check the box to use bluetooth.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Closed Thread