Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
MRink

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Controlling Wireless Sync from BES

Please Login to Remove!

BB users in our small office have always used Desktop Manager to synch everything but our email. Provided we don't run into any issues, at this time we're likely going to switchover to wireless for everything. To serve as guinea pig, today I went into our BES instance to set myself up for wireless synch. I was a little surprised that my user's PIM Sync settings already had "Wirless Synchronization Enabled" set to True with Tasks, Memos, and Address Book all having "Synchronization enabled" also set to True.

Yet, when I go into the Options screen of my Tasks or my Address Book on the handheld, the "Wireless Synchronization" option always says No. I've tried resending service book and IT policy from the BES, but that did not change the setting on the handheld. What explains the discrepancy?

I'm sure I can manually change the setting in my handheld and/or change the setting through Desktop Manager, but when it comes time to roll out this change to our other users, I'd prefer to be able to control everything from the BES rather than relying on them to correctly change it in their handheld or Desktop Manager (...or worse, having to do it for them!).
Old 11-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
soupandsandwich

You can't force the option to change on the device from the BES.
This is a user controlled option.
If the device is currently set to Wireless Sync = No, then the only way to change it to Yes is from the device itself.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
MRink

Good to know. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
MRink

Follow-up question. Why is it that on the BES, my user properties shows info for Tasks, Memos, and Address Book in the PIM Sync section, but Calendar is nowhere to be found? On the handheld, the options for Calendar seem to match those other three categories (with the exception that the Calendar has a "Desktop" item to go through first in the options).
Old 11-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
soupandsandwich

Calendar sync is handled differently, as it's a bit complex than the other PIM functions.
It's actually reconciled in a method more similar to the way email is reconciled.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
MRink

Thank you. I feel compelled to understand more about that, but your explanation is certainly helpful and allows me to continue experimenting with wireless without apprehension. Thanks for sharing your expertise!
Closed Thread