Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
karenkolby

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t
Default letters instead of numbers when typing

Please Login to Remove!

My phone started acting crazy yesterday and I think all of the things are related. First, I can no longer dial a number/spell a name from the main screen. I have to physically go to the phone into the phone icon. Second, when I'm in the phone icon and try to dial a number (ie 919 for example) all I get is letters (for 919 I get MEEM - yes, EM for the second nine, which is my third problem).

When I'm in the phone icon and start to type, there is a little "abc" icon that comes up. Almost like it's telling me, "hey, you really want all letters". I thinking maybe I changed a setting somewhere without realizing it and can't figure out how to undo it.

Any one have a clue?

THANKS!!!
Old 04-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

You did change a setting, to Multi Tap. Go to Options > Screen/Keyboard > Inpout Method and change it from MultiTap to Suretype.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

or you have alt pressed though make sure you check the setting that JS pointed out
Old 04-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
karenkolby

ok .. so maybe I'm dumb (highly likely but ....
From the main menu I went to Settings, , then Options, then Screen/Keyboard and there is no option for Input Message...?

Just to verify that I'm in the right (or wrong) screen, the Screen/Keyboard screen starts with "Font Family, Font Size, Font Sytle, etc, the last option on the screen is Trackball Audible Roll.

What am I missing/doing wrong ?
Old 04-29-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

PIN: ups! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenkolby View Post
ok .. so maybe I'm dumb (highly likely but ....
From the main menu I went to Settings, , then Options, then Screen/Keyboard and there is no option for Input Message...?

Just to verify that I'm in the right (or wrong) screen, the Screen/Keyboard screen starts with "Font Family, Font Size, Font Sytle, etc, the last option on the screen is Trackball Audible Roll.

What am I missing/doing wrong ?
Just create a message or email then hit Menu>Enable Suretype.

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 04-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #6
karenkolby

just re-reading my post ... I meant there is no option for Input METHOD ... sorry !
Old 04-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
just re-reading my post ... I meant there is no option for Input METHOD ... sorry !
See my post above this one please.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #8
karenkolby

Thank you so much for your responses ... Unfortunately when I compose a message and go into options, it says "enable suretype" (not multi-tap) ..so it appears multi-tap is what is on now and not the problem.

The other thing I noticed is when I clicked the trackball to go into messages, I "scrolled" with the trackball (it just moved it up and down) and all my messages are highlighted in orange. I'm thinking that's another indication of my problem but have no clue what my problem is ....
Old 04-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #9
karenkolby

Ok ... so guess I'm quick to try something reply and not necessary read everything as it's was typed ... sorry it's been a long day and I've been dealing with not being able to call out on my phone for 2 days now unless the person is in my address book and it's been a LONG day ....

Ok ... I enabled SureType but my problem remains ... still typing all letters (no numbers) and "abc" icon still there. I did go back into options to be SURE SureType is on (it asks me if I want to enable Multi-tap so I'm certain I turned on SureType).

Please help !!!
Old 04-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #10
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Ok ... so guess I'm quick to try something reply and not necessary read everything as it's was typed ... sorry it's been a long day and I've been dealing with not being able to call out on my phone for 2 days now unless the person is in my address book and it's been a LONG day ....

Ok ... I enabled SureType but my problem remains ... still typing all letters (no numbers) and "abc" icon still there. I did go back into options to be SURE SureType is on (it asks me if I want to enable Multi-tap so I'm certain I turned on SureType).

Please help !!!
Does the ABC float in the upper right hand corner of the screen? Any chance that the device has been exposed to any moisture?

Wait.... have you tried a hard reset (battery pull while the device is on)?

Old 04-29-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
karenkolby

Thatzmister2u,

No moisture at all...am certain of that. Pulled the battery while device turned on and did a hard reset as you suggested and I'm SO happy to report that fixed my problem.

Just as an fyi ... the "abc" didn't float ... it was an icon that showed up just to the right of any letter I typed (i.e. where the next letter would be had I typed another). The icon itself had an "ABC" with an upward pointing arrow under the "ABC". Still have no idea what/how I did it but THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

As I was driving home tonight I thought about the fact that I downloaded pictures from the device (not media card) late Sunday night. Any chance something to do with that might have caused it?

Also, just so I know for future reference...will the hard reset hurt the device/cause any data (contacts, appt, etc) lose?

THANKS AGAIN!!
Back to being a happy Blackberry user!
Karen
Closed Thread