BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 11:03 PM   #1
4ster

Model: Dont
Carrier: Sprint (for now)
Default Newbie: Is a BB overkill for POP3 only email (more inside)

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone.

I'm a long time (10 year) user of PalmOS devices, currently the Treo 650 on Sprint. I'm considering switching to the Blackberry, either by extending with Sprint or going to AT&T, but I have some questions.

For starters, I use an Intel Macbook (Tiger) with iCal and Apple's Address book, so I know I'll need Missing Sync.

I work for a tiny non-profit, so I only have POP3 e-mail, which is through Embarq. Embarq allows you unlimited e-mail storage, so I have been having Apple Mail (Mail.app, if you prefer) just leave the mail on the server. That way, when I check mail with the Treo, I get all the e-mail that has arrived since the last time I pulled e-mail from the Treo, regardless of when I last checked mail on the Macbook (the Treo leaves mail on the server as well). It works pretty nicely. Kind of a poor man's IMAP. Sort of. Maybe.

So here are my questions: Given the e-mail setup I described, is a Blackberry overkill? I mean, I don't have an Exchange server or anything, although I think I could get one via Home, although I'm not sure what good it would do me.

So, is a BB worth it for POP3?

Bonus points:

My assistant uses a Windows machine, and my wife uses a Mac at work. If there is any way those two could see/share my calendar and add events to it that would show up on my BB, that would be awesome.

Please forgive me is this is asking too much, or if my expectations are just too grand. It seems like Blackberries just work, and I am amazed at how they are some of the only devices (if not the only devices) that are consistently rated higher by their users and by the reviewer.

I just thought I would see what was out there before going to the Centro and the same old, same old OS, and the time zone problems that make it look like all my meetings are in either in Havana or Indianapolis.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 4ster; 11-04-2007 at 11:07 PM..
Old 11-04-2007, 11:47 PM   #2
Fkmegently
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Yes it's worth it. I'm not much help otherwise.
Former Palm 700p user.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:32 AM   #3
pinhead
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 30EC5097

It is worth it...most people who aren't using a BES are using pop3 with their Blackberries. You Can have your wife and whomever else email you meeting requests that can be added to your calendar if you accept the meeting.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:36 AM   #4
MadDog_

Model: 8310
PIN: Hang on. I'm looking for it!
Carrier: AT&T

I'm a former Palm user.

I've had my 8310 coming up on a week now and I will NEVER go back to a Palm. My primary email is POP3, and it works amazingly well. It's an awesome device.

Not sure about the shared calendar question. I use Outlook and the integration works great.

Guaranteed you won't be sorry. The only sorry you'll be is sorry that you didn't do it sooner.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:58 AM   #5
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Let me offer an analogy. A lot of people are very dedicated to their Mac computers, and for good reason(s). Yet, if you are happy with your Windows PC- just stay with your Windows PC.

Ask yourself if you don't like something about your Treo. If you like everything and it fits your needs- don't switch.

Note: I am blackberry user for many years. I like it and, in turn, don't plan to switch to Treo.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
4ster

Thanks for the replies. Can I get push e-mail with POP3, or would I have to pull it like I do on the Treo?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:47 AM   #7
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Can I get push e-mail with POP3
Yes, you can. All email on the Blackberry is push mail.

Last edited by penguin3107; 11-05-2007 at 08:48 AM..
Old 11-05-2007, 09:08 AM   #8
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780

Push mail is not as quick with the POP3 accounts as it is with BES, but all in all it has been "quick enough" for my purposes. I'm thinking of adding BES, but suspect that is due more to my geek tendencies than to any real need.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:50 AM   #9
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Can I get push e-mail with POP3
Yes, you can. All email on the Blackberry is push mail.
Email is push from RIM to blackberry, but for POP3 it is poll from mail server to RIM.

POP3 accounts should expect 5-15 minutes delay for emails before they hit blackberry.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:55 AM   #10
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One View Post
Email is push from RIM to blackberry, but for POP3 it is poll from mail server to RIM.

POP3 accounts should expect 5-15 minutes delay for emails before they hit blackberry.
Since you chose to "clarify" my reply, allow me to further clarify yours.

The 5-15 minute delay is not relevant in determining whether a system is push mail or not. Likewise, the polling of the POP3 server by BIS is also not relevant.
Push mail is determined only by the end node's (handheld's) responsibility in the mail delivery process.
In the case of BlackBerry, the handheld never initiates a mail delivery request. The server (BIS, BES or DR) initiates the mail delivery, hence it's push mail.

The user asked if they would need to "pull" mail in the same way that they did on the Treo. To that question... the answer is still no.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:40 AM   #11
4ster

Again, thanks for the answers.

Two more questions:

Is the Curve enough of an improvement over the 8830 that it is worth switching from Sprint to AT&T?

When I connect to the web with my Sprint Treo, I have to sit through the annoying Connecting to Sprint PCS Vision ->Signing On ->Established menu. Does the BB work this way as well?

Thanks again. I think that will be all of my questions for now.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:57 AM   #12
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780

Regarding the Curve vs 8830 -- I personally would drive that decision by the signal quality. If Sprint is superior to AT&T -- keep Sprint. If AT&T is better -- switch.

No, you will not have to wait through the annoying messages while retrieving mail. Periodically you will hear a little signal (assuming that you set alerts) that tells you that new emails have arrived. Be prepared for your spouse to ban the BB from the bedroom.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #13
MadDog_

Model: 8310
PIN: Hang on. I'm looking for it!
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ster View Post
When I connect to the web with my Sprint Treo, I have to sit through the annoying Connecting to Sprint PCS Vision ->Signing On ->Established menu. Does the BB work this way as well?
That is a big NO!! No waiting, no annoyance.

SWEEEEET!!! I make some changes today in my Yahoo/DSL set-up and it is now REALLY dialed. It's perfection at work!

For a few days, I was dealing with duplicate emails on my 8310 and on my Outlook desktop. Game OVER!
Closed Thread