BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 09:56 AM   #1
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good
Carrier: AT&T
Default I thought Spine surgery was bad-then I cracked my screen!

Please Login to Remove!

I had Cervical Spine surgery on Tuesday March 28th. Everything went well, I have been at home getting better and taking it easy. I had a set back then was starting to get better yesterday and decided to do my prescribed walk. I stepped of the curb- turned my ankle and hit the ground right on my hip and elbow- or should I say on my 8700.

I got myself together and got inside- half hour laterI realize what had happened (falling on my hip) and check my BB- the screen has a big crack right where the silver BB logo is on the outside of the case.

Now before anyone says " why were you carying it screen facing out?" - this was a replacement case that is built for 71XX series that I bought because my OEM case had the clips break off. It only goes to sleep face out and was well protected except from the blunt force- not a direct hit.

Oh well, time to search threads on what to do next, the screen works but I hate having a broken screen on a new device like this.

Here are some pics:

Old 04-07-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
justin.culp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: SOLD
Carrier: at&t

Aw man!!!

Old 04-07-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

The unfortunate part is that the few ones I have seen being sold for parts or repairs all have had the same issue, broken screens. I realize that all of the BBs potentionally face the same problem with broken screens, but for some reason the design of the 8700 lends itself more suceptible to this malady. I no longer carry it on my belt, always carry it in a pouch inside a shirt or coat pocket. I am less likely to run into something or fall on my chest bearing the full inpact as oppossed to when it was on the hip (and this is without owning the 8700, just being careful all around).

Running OS 6.0.0.524

Last edited by KonTiki; 04-07-2006 at 12:11 PM..
Old 04-07-2006, 11:18 AM   #4
lgreenberg

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

I'm very sorry.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:26 AM   #5
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

I wish they had a BB surgeon as good as my one @ Pennsylvania Hospital, That 8700 would be good as new!
Old 04-07-2006, 11:27 AM   #6
OWG

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

I cracked mine as well. Although mine was due to dropping a cordless handset on the 8700 which was sitting on the couch beside me. While at home I use my home phone for calls (because I use Vonage). I had just received a SMS page and was returning the call, the handset slipped out of my hand and landed squarely on the clear plastic screen that covers the LCD. Total fall distance was around 2 feet, but I guess that's enough.

What I am surprised at is that no one has parts. I work in the manufacturing industry and when we develop a new product, and begin to stock it, we also are sure to stock replacement parts. I thought that was a normal thing to do...

And oh, btw, not that you want to hear this but the crack will spread. At least mine did.

Last edited by OWG; 04-07-2006 at 11:30 AM..
Old 04-07-2006, 11:39 AM   #7
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Sue your doctor. He should never have prescribed such a walk knowing of the possibility that you would have your 8700 on your hip.

This screams of gross negligence!
Old 04-07-2006, 12:14 PM   #8
yunone
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

haha..i agree with Shane

If you need witnesses i know people who know people who can convinced they were at the seen of this incident at the time it happened and can also be convinced it was the doctors fault.... PM if interested
Old 04-07-2006, 12:48 PM   #9
justin.culp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: SOLD
Carrier: at&t

Oh snap. Snap.

Old 04-08-2006, 02:05 AM   #10
Rockefella
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular, the new AT&T

Wow, those pictures are just too painful to look at. When I look, my hand just reflexively reaches out to my BB and cradles it to my chest. I think I need to avert my eyes.

Sorry that happened to you, but look on the bright side, now you have an excuse to go out and buy the next generation BB whenever it comes out!
Old 04-08-2006, 02:18 AM   #11
Liv

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

I am glad your surgery went well. I have had some family who had similar surgery, so I am rootin (and if you want me to - I can be praying) for a speedy recovery.

I am also sorry about your blackberry. I hope your able to figure out how to get it replaced at the lowest cost to you. I know my uncle dropped his sprint ppc-6700 and cracked the screen - and for the $50 deductable they sent him a new 6700 phone. Not sure how the insurance stuff works with BB service providers though.

Device: Sprint 8330 Curve - Crimson
My heart belongs to Seattle18 (Who I met on the Forums, ironic.)
Old 04-08-2006, 06:28 AM   #12
Blexcroid
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: of H1N1 and other virii

More importantly, I hope that YOU are OK after the fall. Your BB can be replaced.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:35 AM   #13
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Thanks all for the positive thoughts! I am OK after the fall, I guess walking and being on pain killers and muscle relaxers is not a great mix. It does not seem to have done any damage, no ripped stiches or anything.

My 8700 is a different story, does anyone know of a solution. I guess I will call Cingular and check out their insurance policy etc... I am not really needing my BB now since I am homebound for another week or so, it would be a good time to ship it out to be fixed.

Anybody know how to get the screen fixed?

Thanks again,
JP
Old 04-09-2006, 02:00 AM   #14
playo

Model: 8700R
Carrier: rogers

Hey man,

Glad you are good after spinal surgery. Who cares about the blackberry, looks like your health is much more important. You seem like a strong and good person, dont worry good things will happen to you.

Stay positive,
Old 04-09-2006, 04:35 AM   #15
Rockefella
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfromphilly
Thanks all for the positive thoughts! I am OK after the fall, I guess walking and being on pain killers and muscle relaxers is not a great mix. It does not seem to have done any damage, no ripped stiches or anything.

My 8700 is a different story, does anyone know of a solution. I guess I will call Cingular and check out their insurance policy etc... I am not really needing my BB now since I am homebound for another week or so, it would be a good time to ship it out to be fixed.

Anybody know how to get the screen fixed?

Thanks again,
JP

I would suggest you call the returns/exchanges department at Cingular. If you're lucky, you'll get a cool rep who'll exchange your BB for a refurbished one. That's what happened with me. I got a refurbished unit, but it works fantastic, came with the latest handheld operating system, and had a manufacture date of March 28, 2006. I couldn't be happier.

I had dropped my BB8700c no less than 3 times due to a bad case. It was scratched to all hell. The rep said, no problem.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:28 AM   #16
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Jay-z (Rockafella):
Thanks for the input, what was your approach and how long had you had the BB.

Did you say that the OEM holder caused it to fall? Did you do this from a "warranty" perspective or a "help a good customer out" point of view.

I know a good rep and the right "story" are going to help if this is to work.

I am willing to pay- just not full cost. If it is full cost then I am going to have to live with the crack.

TIA Rockefella,
JP
Old 04-09-2006, 04:24 PM   #17
Rockefella
Thumbs Must Hurt

John,

My BB fell out of a holster from a third-party vendor. I was told to get an exchange under the RIM 1 yr manufacturer's warranty, via Cingular. The Cingular asked for my IMEI, whether damage was "cosmetic" or not (he said Cingular engineers are very "liberal" - unless it's been "blowtorched", "run over by a car" or "thrown into a lake" (his exact words), it will be considered "in warranty"). I wanted to be very clear so I told the rep very specifically that I had dropped the BB no less than three times. He just responded impatiently, ok, ok, so it's cosmetic. I said, um, ok, I'll go along with that. Next thing you know, a refurbished unit comes in the mail and I'm smiling from ear to ear.

I'm a cingular customer for life!
Old 04-09-2006, 06:41 PM   #18
clarity
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700r

ouch, it's painful enough just seeing the photos.

ever inquire as to the cost of a replacement lcd lens? i'm curious myself to know how much one would go for (not that mine is cracked or anything, but just out of curiousity)
Old 04-09-2006, 06:52 PM   #19
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Thanks Rockafella, I will try that Monday AM.

Clarity- I do not think it is an LCD- it is just a plastic screen over the actual screen.
2. They are not available yet anywhere as an individual item
Old 04-09-2006, 07:03 PM   #20
clarity
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700r

the plastic screen over the internal lcd is typically called an lcd lens...

(I work at a repair centre for motorola, and the outer lens for most manufacturers phones are called lcd lens)

and i'm sorry to hear it's not available yet :(
Closed Thread