BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 11:57 AM   #1
royzim

Model: 8700g
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Unlock 8700 on O2 Network?

Please Login to Remove!

I got a good deal on a new 8700g that's locked into the O2 network (Great Britain). I'll be using it as a backup on the T-mobile network here in the US, but first it needs to be unlocked.

I know of one service that claims they can unlock it for $$, but if I can get the O2 people to give me the code and procedure, my good deal will become a great deal. My problem is that I can't find an email address for O2 to even pose the question.

Has anyone had any experience getting O2 to provide the unlock info? Does anyone have an O2 contact email address?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:08 PM   #2
mymitsu3kgt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9780
PIN: 236676A8
Carrier: TMobile

There are so many threads about this. Call O2 for the code if your account is in good standing.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:52 PM   #3
royzim

Carrier: t-mobile

Maybe I didn't make myself clear -- I'm a T-mo customer here in the states, not an O2 network customer in England. I want to unlock the 8700 so I can use it as a backup on T-mo.

I agree that there are lots of threads on unlocking BBs in general but I didn't see any threads specific to unlocking on the O2 network, but I'm new at searching this forum.

I live in Colorado and I'd rather not call Great Britain if I can help it -- which is why I'm looking for email contact. I guess they don't encourage emails at O2 as their contact page is all phone numbers.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
naviwilliams
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T

If you know anyone in London with O2 service, email / call them, give them the IMEI number, and have them sort it for you...

Believe me it works - coming from an Englishman!
Old 09-04-2006, 12:21 AM   #5
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

Or use an unlocking service, like GSM Phone Source. Unlocking is model specific, not carrier specific.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:59 AM   #6
aston
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile UK

I got hold of a contract-free, 02-branded 8700g a couple of months ago and made exhaustive attempts to get it unlocked but was unsuccessful! None of the unlocking companies appear to be able to do the 8700g.

It would appear that unless you have a contractual relationship with the relevant network unlocking this device is simply not possible yet.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:33 AM   #7
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

A couple of months ago, you're correct...it couldn't be done. As the Tmobile 8700 is indeed an 8700g, you should try again. They can unlock them now.
Closed Thread