BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 03:41 PM   #1
roid
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT
Default Did OS Update. Reconnect to BES. How do I bring old messages back wirelessly?

Please Login to Remove!

I tried a number of searches here but couldn't put my thumb on search terms that brought me to this same question.

I updated to the new Cingular OS on my 8100.

I didn't backup the old messages as there are many and it would have taken quite some time; I assumed they were on the server and would come back over.

I'd really like to have the months of old messages on my BB for quick search access.

Is there a way to get these on the BB wirelessly.

I'm hesitant to plug in and sync as IT tells me doing a physical connection sync makes a mess out of the wireless sync.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

If your BB is set to wirelessly sync, it won't even give you the choice to sync wired.

Some of the e-mails, if still on the Exchange server, might show up (though it sounds like they didn't).

The only solution would've been to back them up and restore them. Sorry, but I think you're out of luck.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by roid
I tried a number of searches here but couldn't put my thumb on search terms that brought me to this same question.

I didn't backup the old messages as there are many and it would have taken quite some time; I assumed they were on the server and would come back over.

I'd really like to have the months of old messages on my BB for quick search access.

I'm hesitant to plug in and sync as IT tells me doing a physical connection sync makes a mess out of the wireless sync.

There's a prepopulation setting on the BES server (controlled by your BES admin) which should have prepopulated your messages on the device based on what's still in your mailbox on your mail server.
By default, it's 5 days or 200 messages, whichever is greater.
Maybe you can try asking your BES admin to adjust that setting for you and then doing a re-activation on the BES? The maximum is 14 days/750 messages, I believe.

Last edited by penguin3107; 04-09-2007 at 03:57 PM..
Old 04-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by roid

Forward the old emails you want on the device to yourself.

That's your only option.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

When you do an upgrade it's necessary to restore the backup that the app loader made immediately after the upgrade process (the apploader generally does this automatcially unless you set it differently.) If you don't the emails won't come back upon re-activation. If you've received new mails since the backup and you now restore the backup then the emails received after the upgrade won't be there.

The prepopulation from the BES is only for the first activation. After that it won't prepopulate. If you want it to prepopulate, wipe the device and then have your BES admin delete your user account and recreate it. Then your emails will prepopulate upon activation according to the settings on the BES.
Closed Thread