Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 06:13 AM   #1
Kul
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
Carrier: Vodafone (UK)
Default MSG not delivered to Mailbox

Please Login to Remove!

We are running BES 4.0 SP4 and Exchange 2003 SP2. Have a situation where a user has sent a message from his Blackberry fine to his PA (has a tick, which indicates sent out successfully), but the PA didnt receive it.

I checked the Exchange tracking logs and the message did not hit Exchange. I opened the message from the blackberry and it says 'Sent'. I have checked and no pending or held messages are shown. I looked at the application logs Not BES logs and couldnt find anything wrong.

Briefly looking at the BES logs show that 2 mins after the message was sent from handheld the SQL Database lost connection for afew seconds and then reconnected fine, other then that all looks fine.

I will get the refid of the message and do more further tracking, but has anyone come accross something like this ?
Old 07-03-2007, 06:36 AM   #2
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

The SQL server blip shouldn't have any impact on the individual message delivery. Definitely fire up the messageflow.exe brk utility and get the refid to see what else could have happened.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:08 AM   #3
Kul

I have had a look at the Refid: -496321104, but when I use the Messageflow as:

C:\Reskit>MessageFlow.exe -p E -u [email address] -L "O:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logs\20070629"

I cant find a matching RefID in the output file. Do I need to add some more switches etc. I am not sure why I cant see the matching RefId

Last edited by Kul; 07-03-2007 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: correcting format of command
Old 07-03-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

correct me if I'm wrong here, but messages sent from a HH have a positive RefID value...

When you go to the sent message on the users HH and do an ALT + view it shows a negative RefID value?

Is it possible that this message when out using the BIS and not the BES?
Old 07-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
Kul

Iam not sure if messages sent from HH are all Positive but when i did ALT+VIEW it came up with this negative RefId value

We are running BES and not BIS, so I dont think it can have gone through BIS as this user isnt configured for BIS.

However, I also searched for the same refID but without the (-) and still it didnt find anything.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

ok, I'm definitely confused then ...

"a negative number indicates that the message is traveling from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server to the handheld, and a positive number indicates that the message is traveling from the handheld to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server"

If the message originated on the HH and you have that HH it should have a positive RefID ...

Instead of isolating the individual user on the messageflow try running it against everyone and see if that RefID is anywhere.

It seems as though the message you're looking at would be either a copy of what was sent or a different message all together received which is why I'm confused; sorry.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
Kul

ok, will try running it against everyone and see what I get, however, I am definately looking at the RefId for the correct message on th HH which has a tick indicating sent from HH, but its negative.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:57 PM   #8
Kul

I got the device and checked the refID myself and my apologies, the figure is a positive figure but I cant find it in the log files (496321104)
Old 07-03-2007, 03:30 PM   #9
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

If you can't find the RefID in any of the log files, nor can find the message in the exchange logs, and there is no saved copy in the persons sent mail folder I would give RIM a call.

That all effectively means the message was never sent; yet the HH yielded a check mark (and it shows a status of Sent?). I've had checkmarks change back from checkmarks but that all happens within seconds.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:07 PM   #10
Kul

OK, Thanks, I will buzz them and see what they say. I agree, I have seen the TICK change to a X after afew minutes but after a week its still showing as a TICK

Thanks for your assistance
Old 07-03-2007, 05:00 PM   #11
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Please let us know the outcome too ... I'm still scratching my head on this one.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:52 AM   #12
Kul

I wasnt able to find this particular one, but found one of his other emails which was also about the same thing and that showed that the mailbox was full.

I am not sure what happened to the other refid as I couldnt find it in the logs.

our BES support couldnt find it too and were pretty much useless.

thanks for your advice and assistance
Closed Thread