Old 06-02-2006, 11:00 PM   #1
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint
Default REVIEW: Piel Frama Leather Wallet Case for 8700 Series

Please Login to Remove!

Product: Piel Frama Leather Wallet Case for 8700 Series
Price: 65 Euros ($83.96 USD, Worldwide Shipping INCLUDED)
URL: www.pielframa.com

Review:
This is a Piel Frama leather wallet style case for the 8700 series. The leather is soft and smooth, and available in these four colors:

For some reason I thought the case was going to be bigger than it is, maybe it's just the way it looked to me on the website. But in reality it is quite small - not in a bad way, actually I was pleased. I thought it was going to be very large and maybe cause problems with women's purses, but it is just the right size I think. It's large enough to hold the BB securely, plus spaces for credit cards, photos, ID, and money among its 5 interior pockets. It closes with a leather strap with no snap or magnet on it, and it holds securely.

When the BB is in the case all the buttons and ports are easiily accessible - but the speakerphone on the back does not have a cutout for it, so ringtones and alarms will be a little muffled. But, this case isn't really phone-user-friendly. It is more designed for the woman using the BlackBerry as a PDA/Data device, and not a phone. As we all know, many people do this, and use a separate phone for calls, so this would be perfect for that type of use, just turn up the volume on your alarms. As melissap968 mentioned in a post below, this would also be ideal for people who primarily use BT headsets to talk on the phone instead of holding the BB to their head. The keyboard is easy to use as well - the design of the case does not make it more difficult to thumb-type.

Look at the fourth pic below and you can see there is a sleeper magnet placed in the inside flap, located perfectly to put the BB to sleep when closed. The padding in the exterior portions of the case is quite thick, more so than normal flip style cases, offering extra protection for the device.

As to be expected, the craftsmanship of the entire case is exemplary, as it is a Piel Frama product. Overall I am very impressed with the case, and I'm sure any of you ladies out there, or you fellas looking for something like this, would be very happy with this one.

Click to enlarge:

Rating: I give this case 5 out of 5 Berries.

Conclusion: This case is very well made, of very fine leather, and has an ample amount of pockets and padding to make it a perfect solution for the person looking for a PDA/Data device carry solution with extra space.

Pros: Excellent craftsmanship, very unique (don't know of any others like it), plenty of pockets inside, buttons/ports all accessible, sleeper magnet.

Cons: No speakerphone cutout, expensive.

Last edited by Seattle18; 06-03-2006 at 10:32 PM..
Old 06-02-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
cooperpwc

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

This case is so gorgeous that I wish it made sense. But I'm not sure that it does. Not quite a useful Blackberry case. Not quite a useful wallet (for a guy anyway - I need to stuff in those bills). But it's a beauty nonetheless. It would look cool in black.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:15 PM   #3
Seattle18

It's more for the ladies with a purse, I think. But I wrote a generic review in case there are some guys out there who might be interested. It definitely has a feminine look/feel to it, no doubt. But to each his/her own...
Old 06-03-2006, 12:04 AM   #4
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

I had one of these type cases when I had my hp iPAQ 6315 but it was purple and not by that company (it's been almost 2 years so I can't remember who made it). I like it but it looks like it's hard to type on the BB in that type of case.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:32 AM   #5
Seattle18

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaJ1074
I like it but it looks like it's hard to type on the BB in that type of case.
It really isn't. That was my first thought as well, but after I put my BB in there and tried it I realized it works just fine. Think about this - hold your BB in both hands, as if you were typing on it, and draw an imaginary line with your eyes from the bottom of the device to the left - it will pass directly through the gap created by your thumb and forefinger, in the crook of your hand - that's where the case will be as well. It is actually very easy to type on, I assure you.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:00 AM   #6
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

Oh ok. I see now. I may be trying several cases once I upgrade LOL
Old 06-03-2006, 10:07 PM   #7
melissap968

Model: 8700
Carrier: none

Perfect timing on this review... I am debating about getting myself this case. I have a flip case and would love a little extra room for my stuff with my BB. I use my BT when I am on the phone, never the phone directly. This addresses my concerns with the case and I am really leaning towards buying. Thanks!
Old 06-03-2006, 10:29 PM   #8
Seattle18

You're welcome! And that's a great point you brought up about using the BT for phone purposes, I didn't think of it. I'm going to update my review to include that, so thank you...
Old 06-09-2006, 03:41 PM   #9
Liv

Model: 8330

I got mine in the mail today.

I must say, the only thing I am having troubles with is the fact that it seems a little backwards.

If I were to hold it in my hand with the face of my blackberry pointing upwards I am looking at what seems to be the back of the case. The empty flat part.

To have, what I feel is part of the design, the leather strap pointing upwards I have to flip it over with the open side facing to my left. Almost like holding a book backwards. So to flip it open from left to right.

You would normally open book cases from right to left. So when I pick it up and out of habit open it like you would open a book style case my blackberry is upside down.

So opening it backwards is kind of tricky, but a wonderful case overall.

Device: Sprint 8330 Curve - Crimson
My heart belongs to Seattle18 (Who I met on the Forums, ironic.)