Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
pengrus
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Default wayfinder on microSD Card

Please Login to Remove!

On wayfinder's web site faq, it states you can install the navigator software and pre-install maps onto your memory card (microsd card) to minimize the use of data.

Anyone knows how to install the software onto your micro SD card? I could not find the option on the download step.

Also any comparison on data usage amount between telenav and wayfinder?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

When doing the application loader can you indicate the location as the card versus the device?
Old 03-20-2007, 03:36 PM   #3
xxaarraa

Model: 8300
Carrier: The New Cingular

I looked through their Website and couldnt find where it mentions it can be dlwoloaded to an MSD card. Can you link us? This would solve a huge gap of losing gps tracking while on the phone.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
pengrus

Hi here is the link:

Wayfinder.com / Service Center / F.A.Q
Old 03-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Thanks pengrus!!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Don't think that applies to BB. I have contact with them and they have not mentioned anything like that for the BB.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:10 AM   #7
xxaarraa

Model: 8300
Carrier: The New Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Don't think that applies to BB. I have contact with them and they have not mentioned anything like that for the BB.
Stinson, I know people have been clamoring for it, but any idea when or even if SD maps would become available for the 8800? I am goign to hold on to the 8800 till a GPS-enabled 8300 comes out (if it even does), but I would feel much better knowing there is an SD-based solution in the near future.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:16 AM   #8
pengrus

I emailed wayfinder support and haven't got reply yet. Their support is usually one day behind.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:59 PM   #9
pengrus

I got a response from wayfinder and I must say that their support has been less than outstanding. Here is their reply regarding the pre-installing maps to microSD card on BB8800:

"With a trial you cannot install maps in advance but always to your phone."

That is a hurry answer that doesn't really help. So I emailed again to ask if we buy the software, how we can pre-install the map to miscroSD on BB8800. It will take 1-2 days for me to get the answer again. Not very great support.

Since I had some time to compare the telenav and wayfinder, I'd like to share my thoughts with you guys...

Telenav
Everybody says telenav is better, with features like Gas By Price, audible street name, and better interface, better POI etc. While I agree, I don't think they are important to me. While I use GPS, usually it will be for longer trip that I don't recognize the roads, I will have less time to drive and find cheaper gas, nor POI.

The interface is better, with better 3D moving map, but this application seriously drain your battery. I drove probably 50 minutes this morning in bay area, and it drains my batter by 20-25%! That is a lot of usage of data which I don't like.

The Audible Street Name: most of the time, it isn't audible street name... Even when I am in San Francisco, it does not have the audible street name, only selected number of cities, so far, less than half time it has audible street name. So this feature is unfortunately not as advertised that useful.

Speed: feels slower than wayfinder... must relate to its way of using data.

WAYFINDER
The map is very simple, and I think it is perfect to use, because, I'd rather listen to the prompt carefully than checking the screens often and get distracted. The batter drain feels like less than half of telenav (no scientific test, just rough comparison), would love to hear other's comment as well. I did read somewhere on their site, they say one hour of driving only involves about 300KB data download. That sounds really great.

Voice Prompt
Very well done on wayfinder. Better voice, British accent, and adequate reminder, much better than telenav.

Audible Street
Wayfinder does not have audible street, but using SPACE key to switch map view, it will give you the current and next street name etc... Very usable if you need it. But if you follow their voice prompt carefully, you don't really need to worry about it.

Europe Maps?
I heard that with wayfinder, you would not need to download another software just for Europe like telenav. It will work with Europe. You may not always need it, but certainly it is very helpful if you visit Europe sometime...

OVERALL FEEL
I feel the simplicity and efficiency offered by wayfinder is really attractive to me, and I will very likely end up buying wayfinder.

COST COMPARISON
If I keep using wayfinder navigation software for 2 years, about the average BB update interval for me, I will then save 240-99=$141 And that is really good deal at about $4 a month.

If you have other thoughts specifically on telenav and wayfinder comparison, please share with us here. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #10
pengrus

Reroute: which one is faster?
This finally is the determining factor for my purchase decision.

I used both telenav and wayfinder driving around a residential area in Half Moon Bay. I set it to navigate to same destination and purposely go off track and here is what happened.

wayfinder reroute speed
On street A, should turn onto street B, I missed that turn and keep going. The wayfinder realized that I was off track after 1 block, then it was trying to re-calculate, when the recalculate was finished at street X, I was already in the next block street Y, so it had to re-calculate again, it went on like this for 5-6 block, and finally I had to completely stop to wait for it calculates and locks, then go. So unfortunately, it is unusable.

telenav reroute speed
I had no problem with telenav reroute in the same area without having to stop. I think the actual "re-calculate" and "reroute" is faster than wayfinder, but it took about the same amount of time for both to realize I was off track.

On the highway, it was not noticeable how slower wayfinder is when I missed an exit that is very close to the next one. But in residential area, telenav is a clear winner.

So I need to change my mind and sign up with telenav.

Hope this is helpful for those who want to decide between telenav and wayfinder.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:00 AM   #11
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengrus
Reroute: which one is faster?
This finally is the determining factor for my purchase decision.

I used both telenav and wayfinder driving around a residential area in Half Moon Bay. I set it to navigate to same destination and purposely go off track and here is what happened.

wayfinder reroute speed
On street A, should turn onto street B, I missed that turn and keep going. The wayfinder realized that I was off track after 1 block, then it was trying to re-calculate, when the recalculate was finished at street X, I was already in the next block street Y, so it had to re-calculate again, it went on like this for 5-6 block, and finally I had to completely stop to wait for it calculates and locks, then go. So unfortunately, it is unusable.

telenav reroute speed
I had no problem with telenav reroute in the same area without having to stop. I think the actual "re-calculate" and "reroute" is faster than wayfinder, but it took about the same amount of time for both to realize I was off track.

On the highway, it was not noticeable how slower wayfinder is when I missed an exit that is very close to the next one. But in residential area, telenav is a clear winner.

So I need to change my mind and sign up with telenav.

Hope this is helpful for those who want to decide between telenav and wayfinder.
Your observations are accurate. You might want to wait for Mapquest to come out in the US. Technology is slightly different. DLs are larger and slower at first, but rerouting doesn't require server pings. But downside is not connect to address book and input is a pain. Trying to get them to change that.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #12
pengrus

Thanks, Stinsonddog. The larger DLs with instant reroute sounds great. Look forward to its release for cingular, before that, I'll use telenav for now.

Thanks for your great work which helps the GPS vendors improve their service.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #13
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I've found Telenav's rerouting to be faster than Mapquest. Mapquest seems to take much longer to recognize that I'm off course and it tends to suggest a turn for rerouting as I'm passing it the turn. Also, it seems to always make the suggestion that you try a U-turn even in places where you can't (like on an elevated and divided freeway!)...
Old 03-30-2007, 09:53 AM   #14
SchmutzBerry

Carrier: Evil Mr. Rogers

I just got Wayfinder and am very pleased with it of all the ones I've tried. But, keeping maps on SD cards would be nice. anyone figured this out yet?
Especially for instance if you are going to Europe, data costs could be high if it's downloading over the air all the time.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:45 PM   #15
pengrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
I've found Telenav's rerouting to be faster than Mapquest. Mapquest seems to take much longer to recognize that I'm off course and it tends to suggest a turn for rerouting as I'm passing it the turn. Also, it seems to always make the suggestion that you try a U-turn even in places where you can't (like on an elevated and divided freeway!)...
Agreed. Sometimes the Mapquest reroute after off route is right on, but many times it simply suggest you a U turn and go back where you got off route. That is not very smart. So in this sense, the Telenav is faster.
Closed Thread